Protein

larjon67
on 11/4/12 7:55 am

I'm worried I'm not getting enough protein- but I'm not sure if I should worry about it right now.  I had my surgery 10-15 and am only allowed to eat 2 tbsp per meal.  I'm drinking an EAS shake (17 g protein) during the day but eating so little doesn't seem to lend itself to getting enough protein.  Do I just worry about it when I'm a couple months out when I'm eating more each meal?

Laura    

HW:  318  SW:  271

Keith L.
on 11/4/12 8:00 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

No, you need to worry about it now. Yogurt is high in protein, eggs, etc. There are things you can eat that focus on protein. You don't want your body to consume you muscle mass.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/12 8:07 am

Early on, most of my protein came in the form of protein shakes.  I was never a big fan of the taste, but they are pretty important in the early stages.

larjon67
on 11/4/12 8:09 am

So if i drink shakes do they count as a meal?  or do I count it as part of my liquids?  Stupid question but my EAS shake doesn't seem to have any real solids...

Laura    

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/12 8:13 am

They count as both.  Don't worry about how to count them, just drink them.  :)  Get your protein up, that's the important part here. 

stephanieplum
on 11/4/12 8:10 am
VSG on 06/27/12

Premiere Protein Shakes have 30 grams of protein in 11oz.  Can you try another shake with more protein?  I wasn't able to get my protein through food that early either so I relied  on shakes and still drink one per day.  Good Luck!  Talk with your NUT and see what they recommend:).  It does get easier!

larjon67
on 11/4/12 8:16 am

Thanks guys!!!!

Laura    

TNERNURSE
on 11/4/12 8:56 am

I drink the Premier shakes for the protein. Also , plain greek yogurt is a good protein source- I add sugar free flavoring and some smart smoothy protein powder to add more protein. Cottage cheese is another good source. There are ways to boost your protein to where u get the most bang for the buck. If it is not a good source of protein - skip it and find something that is. Baked fish is loaded with protein and is soft and flaky- this is one of the first meats I added to my diet.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views