Testing testing testing!

jen_vsg_4me
on 11/9/12 10:40 am - Iaeger, WV
VSG on 01/23/13

LOL.. I've had a lot of tests done the past couple days!  I'm pre-op.. I'm hopefully having surgery in December.  Yesterday and today, I had a pulmonary function test, sleep study test, and upper endoscopy.  All at a hospital almost 3 hours away. My husband and kids and I spent the night at a hotel so that we wouldn't have to do so much traveling. Whew!  I think the only test I have left now is just the psych eval.  That will be next week. 

My sleep study was one of those that you take home with you... so I did it in the hotel. I hope it turns out ok, because I don't wanna have sleep apnea, even though I think I do. My pulmonary function test was really good they said. And the upper endoscopy went really well too... no problems except a large hiatal hernia but I already knew that. I tried to tell my dr that it was really big but he didn't believe me. He had told me that he won't repair it while he is doing the VSG because he likes to see if they will improve on their own with weight loss.... but after seeing mine today, he says he is going to repair it while doing the VSG... I had a feeling he would say that.  LOL

My youtube channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/ShrinkingJenn

Surgery Date: January 23, 2013

Rita M.
on 11/9/12 11:16 am - Webster, MA

Hi Jen,

yes, testing, testing and more testing is required before VSG. It is a good thing since they need to find out how healthy you are or if there are any medical or physiological issues that might prevent you from getting this surgery. It is for you own safety and piece of mind.

I have had it all, including endoscopy, colonoscopy, sleep study ( also at home) and a bunch of blood tests and behavioral classes and meetings. I joined a bariatric program in April of 2012 and have just received my surgery date for Nov. 29th 2012. So all in all it didn't really take this long to get my surgery date. There are people in my monthly group meeting that have been in the program for over a year or longer, so I consider myself very fortunate to have gone through everything within such a short time, 7 months.

Providing my insurance won't deny the surgery I will be under the knife at the end of this month. 

Good luck to you and stay positive.

Sincerely,

Rita

jen_vsg_4me
on 11/9/12 11:55 am - Iaeger, WV
VSG on 01/23/13

Oh, I'm not complaining. I'm glad to get the tests done... its good to know that I am healthy. I would worry a lot having this surgery if I didn't know for sure I was a good candidate for it.  I think doing the upper endoscopy was especially good for me because I was sedated.... well, I don't know if it was sedation.. they said I would be awake but not aware and wouldn't remember anything.  I don't remember anything.. LOL.. but I was really nervous before the test because I didn't know what to expect and jittery thinking about surgery in December (hoping I don't chicken out! LOL)  But, it went so smoothly.  I know the VSG is not nearly as simple as an endoscopy, but it just set my mind at ease a little. 

I don't know why, but being at the hotel last night, and thinking of surgery coming up next month, I was very anxious and unsettled.  I just hope I don't chicken out!!!  LOL

My youtube channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/ShrinkingJenn

Surgery Date: January 23, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views