VSG and hernia repair at the same time

jen_vsg_4me
on 11/11/12 12:35 am - Iaeger, WV
VSG on 01/23/13

I will be having both at the same time in December. I'm wondering if the hernia repair will cause a longer or more painful recovery. I know everyone is different, but I'd just like to have an idea of what to expect.  Anyone have experience with this?

My youtube channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/ShrinkingJenn

Surgery Date: January 23, 2013

Italian-Princess
on 11/11/12 1:04 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Hi Jen

Are you talking about a hiatal hernia repair?  If so, that is commonly done at the same time as VSG.  I had an umbilical hernia repair done, too, at the same time.  Just gave me two more incisions.  I didn't even know I had a hiatal hernia!   After surgery, they told me they fixed it.  I felt nothing from that -- no pain at all, not even discomfort.  I didn't even feel much pain from the sleeve surgery -- it was a little uncomfortable, but the umbilical hernia repair caused some twinges and pinches at the incision sites and it made getting out of bed a little more difficult, but no biggie really.

People are all different and have different levels of pain tolerance.  Also, it helps if you've had other surgeries in the sense that you know how to move better than those who have never had surgery.  You know how to use your arms and legs to shift your body to make sitting up or getting up lots easier.  If you haven't had surgery before, you'll learn.  It's not that hard.  I've had LOTS of surgeries and these were the easiest.

Good luck...........and keep us posted on your progress as you move toward your surgery date!

Ree

Mike B.
on 11/11/12 2:22 am
Hi Jen,
I had my HH repaired at the same time as my VSG and I'm like Italian-Princess, I was a little uncomfortable but not in much pain. I would rather have both procedures done at the same time so that I would only have one recovery time. I came out of surgery from my VSG and the doctor telling my wife he fixed my HH while he was in there. So I had no idea I had an HH to begin with. Good luck.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

AnnieinIA
on 11/11/12 3:12 am
I had a paraesophogial hernia repair when my VSG was done. I guess this is a much less common type of hiatal hernia. I didn't know I had it and maybe it is easier to recover from than the typical hernia repair - but my recovery was so darned easy it definitely didn't make things worse.
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/11/12 3:19 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Surprise hiatal hernia for me as well. Two gastroscopies did not detect it and yet once Dr Gagner was in there, he said there it was, looking straight at him. So he repaired it and when I woke up he said I will probably have pain and discomfort swallowing but ... I did not. I had no pain, no discomfort and was able to swallow just fine right after waking up. had my sips of water right away (he doesn't do a leak test after surgery, only while you are on the table) so I could drink immediately upon waking up. I really can't tell I had surgery.. not to mention two separate procedures really with the VSG and hernia repair. So don't worry about it. It is best to have it done at the same time anyway so that you don't have anesthesia twice and all that. good luck in December!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Jewelz13
on 11/11/12 6:34 am - TX
I had both done at the same time and I was just fine afterwards had a typical recovery

karismommy231
on 11/11/12 9:20 am
VSG on 11/05/12

I just had both a surprise HH and VSG done on Monday and only on one pain pill a day as of today. The HH repair made it uncomfortable swallowing. I can feel everything going down and was painful the first 2-3 days. And a little sore. But you will be on good pain meds. Little sips of fluids and when you have to take oral meds be prepared for a slightly painful swallow. At least that was my experience. Maybe yours will be different. GL!

HW: 235, SW: 227, CW: 152.0, 83 lbs lost since 10/22/12 --Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, breathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and good things will be yours.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views