Help I am a failure

jillbeme
on 11/11/12 12:56 pm
Revision on 07/29/14

First off I don't blame my sleeve, I blame me.  I had my surgery on March 4 2012 and have lost about 40lbs. Recently I noticed the scale starting to move but not in the right direction.  I am not looking for criticism I am looking for direction to start over.  I am thinking of going on a liquid diet of just protein drinks for like 3 days and moving forward from there. Can someone let me know if this is how I should begin or give me some suggestions? geing   

Jill     

chiefsgirl3
on 11/11/12 1:28 pm - IL
VSG on 06/05/12

I did the same thing!  Gained 5 lbs. I just started Monday eating right again. First two days I did shakes and then just high protein and watching my portions and protein and keeping carbs under 40 a day. I went down 8 lbs in a week!  I just decided to buckle down and do it. 

Scandrona
on 11/11/12 1:30 pm - Hollister, CA
VSG on 07/30/12

If you've lost 40 lbs then you're definitely not a failure, you have just gotten a little off track.  You can most certainly go back to liquids and just drink protein shakes for 5 days or a week.  This will also help you detox from carbs if you need it. 

If you don't wish to do that though just go back to the basics that your surgeon gave you.  Always always always eat dense protein first, Fish, chicken beef, pork ect.  Weight out 2-3 oz and if you are still hungry follow it up with some veggies.  Get your protein up above 60 grams a day and cut your carbs down under 30 grams a day.  This will mean cutting out all breads, pastas, chips ect. that you shouldn't be eating, but it also means cutting back on fruits and veggies a bit too.  Log every bite that you eat either by hand in a note book or you can use an online app like Myfitnesspal.com.  Start trying to get in a little more exercise if you can, even if it is just taking a 10 min walk, every little bit helps.

You can do this!  You just have to re-focus on what is important--your health!

"...If one advance confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." 
                                                                                                               --Henry David Thoreau
"Keep Going" --Sensei Jose Miguel Rosas

-Cindyloo-
on 11/11/12 1:31 pm

Your not a failure, it's a journey full of ups and downs.

Keith L.
on 11/11/12 2:05 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I think a reset is a good idea. But I think you need to evaluate where and how you got off track otherwise it will just happen again.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

juddfan1974
on 11/11/12 9:06 pm - TN
VSG on 07/02/12

A reset is probably a good approach.  Also make sure you are drinking at least 64 oz of water a day, but no water with food (30 mins before or 30 mins after eating).  Also, you must exercise.  Start off slow and build up, but it is key.  I took a 21 mile bike ride yesterday.  That is something I never thought I'd be able to do, but you just have to build up to it.

Maureen K.
on 11/11/12 9:31 pm
Don't beat yourself up. This is not a miracle cure it is something we need to except will be work every day of our lives . I am 4 years out and I can't begin to tell you how many times I have hit the reset button I start with two or three days of shakes then move strictly to dense protein chicken lots if chicken and fish then add in eggs cottage cheese etc I allow myself a day or two a week where I slip up I weigh myself everyday and hit reset if I go up more than three pounds so much easier to handle a couple pounds instead of ten. We have to face the fact that diets are temporary we have to have a new way if life you will succeed you can do this and I am ever so grateful to have my sleeve to help me . Cheers

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

lucy2e
on 11/11/12 9:55 pm - Laurel, MD

I'm sorry that you are struggling!

There is a "reset" plan called the 5 day pouch test.  It was designed for RNY patients to "rediscover" their pouch and see how much restriction it has.  If you google it, you can buy a book on it.  Here is a summary of it:

The first 2 days is liquids (protein shakes, liquid soups)
the 3rd is soft protein like eggs/tuna
the f4th is firm protein like ground meat
and the 5th and final is solid protein

no drinking 1/2 before and after and the non liquid meals are supposed to last around 15 min.
You can have protein shakes all the way through if you like 
or soft proteins on the firm and solid days and so on.

You can do this!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

danixbanani
on 11/12/12 1:29 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

I agree with what everyone is saying here and just wanted to add my two cents.  First, use myfitnesspal or something like it to track your food.  Tracking really helps you keep accountable and know what's going in!  Secondly, perhaps it's time to up the exercise or try a new exercise like cycling, kickboxing, zumba, etc.  Something fun that keeps you going! 

Good luck, you can do it!

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Faye56
on 11/12/12 2:11 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with

This is all great advice. I have gained a couple of pounds too so I am certainly going to follow it!

Good luck to you!

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views