Help! I have absolutely NO energy!

myveryownjet
on 11/14/12 2:32 am - LA

I am six weeks plus Post-Op.  I am having a hard time with my energy level.  I am getting 6-7 hours of sleep per night.  But, I often get up, get my children ready for school, take them to school, come home and take a two hour nap.  And then sometimes I feel as though I need another nap in the afternoons.  My housework is lacking.  I am getting dishes done, a load or two of laundry done, supper cooked and that is about all.  I am attempting to put Christmas up; thus, my house looks as if a category 4 hurricane has been through.  I am taking my vitamins and meeting my protein requirements.  I did have nasal surgery six months prior to being sleeved.  And it was a booger to get over!  I don't know if this has anything to do with it...maybe my body is trying to heal from both surgeries.  I also have hypothyroidism.   If anything, I would think the weight loss would help with the hypothyroidism.  My levels will be checked at the end of the month by my endocrinologist.  I love the 35 AND a half pounds that I have lost, but miss my energy.  Any advice, tips, etc. is greatly appreciated!  Thanks! 

Joe F.
on 11/14/12 2:37 am - East Stroudsburg, PA

Hi - aside from having your thyroid levels checked - might want to discuss with nutritionist - some folks need more complex carbs than others ....for energy.

myveryownjet
on 11/14/12 2:55 am - LA

Okie dokie!  Thanks!  I had not thought of complex carbs. 

slimpickins5280
on 11/14/12 3:02 am - CO

Get labs done on your thyroid. About a month after surgery, I wasn't sleeping well. Heart racing. Just generally feeling like **** Got my lab done and my thyroid was back in the normal zone. I went off the meds and life was much better. This doesn't happen for everyone, but definitely get it checked.

Make sure they do a complete lab panel. Other things like low iron, low b12 can also mess with your energy.

Also, water. Get in ALL of your water. Dehydration isn't good and can make you feel tired. 

Check labs pronto. Water. Water. Water.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

myveryownjet
on 11/14/12 3:14 am - LA

Yes, I saw in a post where you had said you went off of your thyroid meds.  That would make me happy, happy, happy!

How much water should I be getting?  I don't even know.  I love water and just know that I am not able to drink the amount of water that I was used to drinking. 

Thanks for the help!

slimpickins5280
on 11/14/12 7:02 am - CO

64 oz a day minimum. I shoot for 100 oz a day.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

myveryownjet
on 11/14/12 11:25 am - LA

How do you drink so much?  Liquids seem to make me so full!

slimpickins5280
on 11/14/12 10:19 pm - CO

Sip. wait. Sip. wait. Sounds silly, but I know how hard it is early one. Everything made me feel full.

It gets easier over time. At six weeks out, I felt like drinking water was a fulltime job. Now it's not a problem. Drinking water/fluids (I drink a lot of unsweetened, caffeine free teas, both hot and cold - they count toward water for me), is the best habit to get into. Dehydration can lead to so many problems.

I have a water bottle with me everywhere I go. I take a water bottle with me upstairs to drink during the night. I start drinking it while I'm getting ready in the morning. I ALWAYS have a water bottle with me. I make goals for myself - 3 glasses of water, then a snack.

I live in a very dry climate, so drinking water is even more important.

Make sure to get your labs done, pronto. Don't wait. Get in today if you can.

Take care.

myveryownjet
on 11/15/12 1:22 am - LA

Thanks!  I will start carrying that bottle around.

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/14/12 3:11 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Get thee to your GP.
If you tell your doctor just how exhausted you are, he'll check your electrolytes, B12, iron, thyroid and a bunch of other stuff, including one I sure wouldn't have thought of when I felt the same at about a month out - a urine analysis. I had a low grade UTI (and needed off my BP meds) A few days on antibiotics and I was a new woman.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views