Staple removal

Micmac2
on 11/15/12 12:04 pm

Okay, so today I have my post-op and all was well.  Already my triglcerides are in check and my cholesterol looks promising.  It didn't hurt to get the staples removed but I only had one concern.  They removed the staples from my biggest incision and half of it is still flat and 'together' and the other side looks 'open' .  The pa assured me that although it looks that way it will heal.  It is stills sore but man has this freaked me out.  It just seems not normal as the rest of them look 'typical'.  I would post a pic but yuck.  (and I haven't posted one yet). I'm not really worried about long term look just I hope to make sure they didn't send me home with a gaping incision. They said there are still sutures inside but oh goodness I'm just a worry wart but thought I would ask how everyone else's looked and if you had this.

synthangel
on 11/15/12 12:39 pm - NV
VSG on 11/02/12

If that was to happen to me I would go buy steri strips from cvs and just try to get it as closed as you can and put the strips on. My c-section incision opened like that on one side and I put the strips which closed it up and minimized the scar in my opinion

stillalb
on 11/15/12 2:20 pm

Just wanted to reassure you that I had the exact same problem with my c-section incision. I was a little 'extra' careful with the side that was like that and did keep an eye on it to make sure it healed but other than that nothing different done and healed just fine, scar not an issue. Hope that reassures. It worried me a bit at the time but my mom is an EMT and she took a look at it a couple times and said it was fine so I didn't worry as much.

Hope that helps.

Amy

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/15/12 4:57 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
You had staples? I had invisible sutures that disappeared on their own. My incisions look like small very thin, like 1 mm or less, scratches. They are disappearing progressively as the colour changes from pink to skin tone. I am five and a half weeks out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

LDallas
on 11/15/12 9:01 pm
VSG on 10/25/12
I had staples too. Now i have a line...with a row of dots on each side (x5). Like frankensteins head!!

SW (10/25/12)......303  size 24/26. Age 50

CW: 225  size 14/16

F/5'10"

Ashley H.
on 11/15/12 10:13 pm - Keller, TX
VSG on 11/13/12

When I had my gallbladder out- I had an incision that looked just like that.  It healed perfectly and my scar is tiny :). Now I'm going to look like Frankenstein with my 20ish staples.

Micmac2
on 11/15/12 10:30 pm

Yes, years ago with my gall bladder I didn't have staples.  Just the sutures.  However, My doc likes to keep everything super tight in case of coughing, vomitting and such after surgery. (which is good cuz I did a lot of both).  I will keep close eye on it and yes they do look Frankenstein'ish.  Hopefully when we can start using the mederma cream (2 weeks from now) it will start to heal.  I know Im not going to be perfect stomach model lol but I was hoping it was normal.  Feeling better now thanks!

Hislady
on 11/16/12 10:01 am - Vancouver, WA

I would suggest not using steri strips on it because I'm pretty sure they want it to heal from the inside out. If you pull it together with the strips it may heal over the unhealed part and then you can have problems with infections under the healed part. I know it looks gross but it is better to let it heal the way it is. If things rub on it you could put a loose piece of bandage over it to protect it.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views