CPAP and your Sleeve

Saukratees
on 11/15/12 11:19 pm - GA
VSG on 11/14/12

Okay folks!

After your sleeve was installed (LOL), did you come off your CPAP immediately?  If not, how long did it take to  be freed from that Darth Vader mask?

mimij
on 11/15/12 11:33 pm - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I am 6 weeks postop. I have a ResMed S9 Auto so I can look at my detailed data each night. I was able to lower my pressure from 14 to 12 but I still have events so I am not discontinuing it. I probably won't discontinue it without eval from my pulmonologist. I am sleeping much better since losing about 35 lbs. CPAP has never bothered me. I wear the nasal pillows and have not had any compliance issues, knock on wood.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

AdeanaMarie
on 11/15/12 11:40 pm - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

Over 9 months post op and still using mine.  Too nervous not to use it until I have a sleep study done.  The report mine gives is that my average pressure is still 11, however, the percentage for high leaks is huge, so that is messing up the average pressure reports.  I am waiting until I get closer to goal before I have a sleep study done, since my co-pay amount will be big.  Do not want to go and have it done more than once.  I have taken a couple naps without it and I think I am not snoring, but since I live alone, not sure what I am doing when I sleep.  Suppose I could record myself sleeping and listen to it to see if I stop breathing.  Not that uncomfortable using it for now.  Kinda like a security blanket at this point.  Weird trying to sleep without it.

Hope you can get off yours soon.  But it will depend, not just on weight, but if as you lose you still have an obstruction because of lose skin on the inside, plus jaw size is a factor too.  My sleep apnea doctor says that a high percentage of people with sleep apnea are of Asian descent.  Their bone structures are smaller and therefore cause the sleep apnea more often.  Not always about the excess weight.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Nancybefree
on 11/16/12 1:34 am
VSG on 11/21/12

FWIW, the nurse-practitioner who interviewed me yesterday for presurgical said that, in her experience, patients undergo a new sleep study at approx. nine months postop to see if they still have a diagnosis of sleep apnea. 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Keith L.
on 11/16/12 1:36 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I am 7 weeks post op and while I am still using it I don't feel like I need it. I have reduced my pressure by half and I am about to lower it some more this weekend. I did fall asleep the other day without it and had about an hour long nap without waking up. Before I could not sleep for 2 minutes without choking. You should talk to your pulminologist about how to know when you can stop or at least have him lower the pressure when you are ready. I know when I completely relax my throat I do not feel the apnea any longer.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

SandyFromNJ
on 11/16/12 6:13 am

Do not take yourself off the CPAP.   Go see your Pulmonologist.   Be Safe.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 400 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 427 views