pre-op diet

mokee
on 11/19/12 7:25 am - OH

Question:  I have been on the pre-op diet for 6 days and one more week to go.  Am not hungry and am losing weight.  Now I question wether  I should have the surgery or not.  Maybe I just did not try hard enough.  I have diabetes and this is the main reason I want this surgery.  But what if the diabetes does not go away?  Does anyone out there have these same feelings as it is getting so close to surgery?

I don't want to make a major mistake.  Opinions please.

shrinking_sarah
on 11/19/12 7:38 am - CA

You need to do what is right for you.  For me, the failure rate of long-term weight loss success silenced any doubts I have.  I know I can diet and lose weight.  What I can't do is keep going long enough to lose all the weight I need to lose, much less keep it off long-term.  If your experience is different, then maybe you could be successful with diet alone.

Good luck!

Sarah

bhern
on 11/19/12 8:33 am
DS on 01/21/14
bhern
on 11/19/12 8:35 am
DS on 01/21/14

If you are anything like most  members on OH, then as soon as you stop the pre-op diet and go back to "normal" eating, there's a good chance you'll gain back what you lost. I'm not trying to sound discouraging but that is usually the case with myself and I'm sure others will agree.  I've tried liquid dieting and countless others.  And as soon as I resumed eating, I regained what I lost and gained a few more to boot.

I understand you have diabetes and this is something that will probably just get worse as the years go by and your weight continues to climb.  Also...if your diabetes does resolve after having a sleeve gastrectomy and following your surgeons program,  you could choose to move on to a second stage (duodenal switch). This surgery "reliably causes rapid and complete remission of Type 2 DM in all patients on oral antidiabetic drugs and in patients with insulin treatment for less than 5 years."   Read more: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/i....1#ixzz294cbYEQu

It is completely normal to have pre-surgery jitters and I don't blame you one bit for having second thoughts. It is a major life changing decision and only you can make that choice. I wish you all the best. Good Luck!

HW 407 * SW 359 * TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS-TO-DATE.... 

lani069
on 11/19/12 9:04 am

first day of pre op diet and yuck. Have 2 weeks of this. My magic bullet blends it really thick not going to do it tomorrow. I have vanilla and not really tasty. LOL  Going to have jello tonight and my snack bar. Will have last shake later.  Don't quick like the others said once you do stop it you might go back on the rolloer coaster.  Your half way there and you will be successful.  Hang in there.

datachick
on 11/19/12 9:48 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

I thought the exact same thing as you are thinking, but then knew for me that I'd been down that road before, many times, and gotten off track before, many times. I had surgery three weeks ago, it's tough at times but these difficulties will subside and are nothing compared to the years of feeling like a failure, being sick and fat and achy and tired and miserable. your surgeon would have told you if he thought this wasn't for you. hang in there.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

squirrellee
on 11/19/12 9:48 am
VSG on 10/23/12

I know exactly how you are feeling because what you are saying described my own personal situation. When I finally made up my mind to have the surgery after steadily gaining a little more weight each year for the last 10 years & having type 2 diabetes also, I started questioning my decision during the pre-op weight loss. After the first few liquid diet days I too, started losing weight & was not really all that hungry. I asked myself, "Why not just do this & skip surgery?". But when I thought back to all my previous failures to stick with a diet plan, & the fact that there was a real possibility my diabetes would go into remission, I chose to go ahead with it. For me it was a real struggle & I was truly questioning my sanity & asking myself the very same questions that you are. And there were no guarantees that my diabetes would resolve, although the evidence is pretty strong. I had my surgery on 10/23/12 & have lost 32 pounds since that day for a total of 47 pounds since start of pre-op diet. I was taking several diabetes pills & using Victoza injections daily. Since surgery I take no pills & so use a small dose of the Victoza. But my readings are getting better & better so I will probably be med-free soon. Diabetes was the only reason I chose to go ahead with the surgery. I am 53 & I knew that if something did not give soon I would be facing some serious complications. I must say though, that it's not easy & will require a lifestyle change for the rest of my life. Even if the diabetes returns full force in years to come I feel that I will have benefited from better control at the very least for a while. I feel so much better already with more energy than I have had in years. I have been following all the rules & plan to continue doing so. I am going to do my part to make the surgery successful. I already feel like it was the right decision for me. But it is one only you can make. Good luck whatever you decide. This forum has been a Godsend for me.

pineview01
on 11/19/12 9:51 am - Davison, MI

People post this a lot.  But, how many times have you lost and than gained back.  Only you know you and what works best for you!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

lucy2e
on 11/19/12 10:11 am - Laurel, MD

You need to decide what is best for you.  With surgery you will be able to lose more quickly and are more likely to keep the weight off.  

I am so happy that I had the sleeve and haven't regretted it once.  

Good luck making your choice!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

bill B.
on 11/19/12 10:41 am, edited 11/19/12 8:51 pm - NC
VSG on 12/13/12
Yes they do, I still have those feelings. I start my pre-op diet on the 29th, surgery Dec 13th. I lost 61 lbs since my seminar with my surgeon, why then do I need surgery, when I can lose weight? I don't keep it off long term and the stats are a lot better with the sleeve to keep it off. I'm 52 and haven't been at a healthy weight for a long time. I have been up and down the scale many times. I know deep down this is the right choice but I still question it in my head every day.
Good luck with your decision.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 293 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views