New Here, Surgery Scheduled for 12/7

mdusha
on 11/17/12 9:31 pm - FL
VSG on 12/07/12

Hi Everyone,

New here and looking to get involved in a community for support. I've been on the journey towards VSG for almost a year now and my surgery is scheduled for December 7th. Merry Christmas to me! :-) I start the liquid diet the DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING...talk about timing! 

I'm excited and honestly, a bit scared. I've been overweight pretty much my entire life (from the age of about 5 up) and though I've twice been very successful at losing 100+lbs, I've never been successful keeping it off. It's time to take care of this haunting issue and I think surgery is my best bet. I actually eat pretty well now and have lost about 28lbs over the last two months. 

I live alone, and I worry about not having support here each day. Friends are being supportive, so that's good. My fears are primarily about surgical complications and death. My surgeon is Dr. Keith Kim at Celebration here in Orlando, FL, and he's great, but still I worry. This opportunity just seems too good to be true and I'm afraid something bad will happen to smack my hand for even going down the surgery path. I know that seems irrational, but it's my fear. 

My goal is to apply to a PhD program in psychology in a year and part of my motivation for finally taking care of my weight is so that I'm physically capable of being able to compete in such a rigorous program. I'm 43 and at my current weight, it would be very hard for me to keep up.

Just wanted to introduce myself and get to know the forum. Hopefully, I can find support here as well as offer it to others. Thanks for reading! 

Michelle

Laci M.
on 11/18/12 2:54 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Welcome!!

I felt the same about complication and the surgery, but once I was in my hospital room after surgery, I was amazed at how well I felt.  I was sore and it hurt to move around, but thinking of all they did to me, I was pleasantly surprised.

I, too, have been overweight my entire life.  Thankfully, I have a huge support team.  I've got encouragement and my "food police" and exercise motivators.  The more support, the easier the journey.

If you need or want another friend/supporter, please look me up.  We all need lots of help in this trip of ours. 

Good luck and congrats on your progress towards this new life!!

Missymellie33
on 11/18/12 3:42 am

Congratulations Mdusha!

I am also a newbie.  I have already found that you are not alone on this site.  It is great and full of support.  Think positive, you are very fortunate to be where you are. Many are denied.  I am just beginning the approval process, I can't wait to be have a surgery date.  You will be a young healthy new doctor in no time! Congrats again.

Kind regards,

- Missymellie33

katie L.
on 11/18/12 8:49 am

Hi. mdusha  Welcome I am new too . I will have my surgery on Dec ,5th. I am a housewife so we can talk when we get home from the hospital,  And before;

Cindi A.
on 11/18/12 10:39 am - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 11/26/12

Welcome to the forum, it's a great way to get support. My surgery is in a week so we'll be losing together. :-) Lots of great experience on the board so ask away!

centurycard     

Surg: Nov. 26/12 1st Goal: Lose 100lbs Reached Feb. 14/14 New Goal: 135lbs

Joyce J.
on 11/19/12 2:21 am
VSG on 12/26/12

My VSG is planned for the day after Christmas....wi**** could be sooner but that's the date that works best for my work schedule (I have 3 wks off for Winter Break). 

Let me know how everything goes...sending positive thoughts your way! :)  

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/19/12 4:47 am
VSG on 10/09/12
That's my dog in your avatar!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Joyce J.
on 11/19/12 5:32 am
VSG on 12/26/12

We used to have a Bernese but sadly she died years ago.....I've always said that when I retire I will get another (that will be at least 6 yrs) but for now I have 2 little dogs that are sweethearts!

mdusha
on 11/19/12 7:30 am - FL
VSG on 12/07/12

You guys are amazing! Thanks for all of your well wishes and comments. 

I work during the weekdays, so can't post here as much as I'd like. Very open to being friends and supporting each other. Still trying to figure the site out a bit! 

Say prayers, I need to come up with about $1000 quick for the co-pays...just recently learned this. I think I can do it, but it has me stressed a bit. I've come too far to have to give up b/c of money. 

This site is amazing, btw! Thanks again! :-)

m

Check out my blog at www.selfimageafterweightloss.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views