Great food find! 4 oz portion and high protein

CindyGuice
on 11/27/12 9:17 am - GA
Revision on 02/13/12

I found these at Ingles here in Georgia. 140 calories, 4 grams of fat, 0 carbs and 25 protein!!! I'm so bad sometimes with figuring calories with portions and I'm always paranoid about not calculating right. These are really good AND they aren't full of junk, look on the ingredients list, only 4 ;) I just had one (all but 4 bites) tonight with a laughing cow cheese wedge. Yummy!! Just wanted to share with you guys!!

CindyGuice
on 11/27/12 9:18 am - GA
Revision on 02/13/12

larjon67
on 11/27/12 9:19 am

Okay- I'm intrigued!!  But I'm weird about chicken...is it a whole piece of breast or is it a formed chicken breast? 

Laura    

HW:  318  SW:  271

CindyGuice
on 11/27/12 9:22 am - GA
Revision on 02/13/12

Its ground chicken made into a burger shape. Looks just like the picture and taste just like it looks! yummmmm

savaughn87
on 11/27/12 9:20 am - IL
VSG on 06/21/12

They also make pre-portioned chicken breast tenderloins! I think they're 2oz each.

*Samantha*

CindyGuice
on 11/27/12 9:22 am - GA
Revision on 02/13/12

I'll have to see if I can find those also! Thanks!

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/27/12 10:03 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'll look for those. At 5 months out 2 ounces is as much as I can manage. I'm afraid I don't understand how people can get all of their protein from food. There's no way I can do it yet.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

AnnieinIA
on 11/27/12 11:21 am
Hi Kelly- Anne, this comment is as much about your post on the "fiber" thread as it is about this one. You made excellent suggestions about how to get more fiber in your diet - but I wondered....how does she get her protein in if she is filling her tummy with all this fiber?

I focus all my food on protein sources (with little room for fiber rich foods) because I have to get my protein somehow. Many supplement with shakes, which really isn't workable for me. Not only does the taste of shakes make me want to hurl - but they make me so full I can't eat any food at all. I really have to get my protein from food. Hence the bathroom issues and the many potions my doc gives me to address that issue.

I find it so interesting that we all walk a similar path - but - that path is uniquely ours.

Smiles, Annie

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/27/12 1:50 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Good question!
For whatever reason my wee Fred tolerates small portions of high fibre foods really well but has issues with a lot of the "dense protein" foods out there. Beef and pork make me horribly sick and have for years, and I don't like shellfish, so chicken, ground turkey and finny fish are it for flesh foods. I adore cheese but find it extremely constipating, so limit it to 2-3 ounces per week. Egg, well, Fred allows small portions IF I scramble them and chew them to death.

I can eat as much as 1/2 cup of Hi Lo cereal (12g protein and 6g fibre) but only 1-1.5 oz of chicken. (7-10g protein, no fibre) Cottage cheese or Greek yogurt are no problem and I can eat 1/2-3/4 cup of either, BUT if I'm looking for satiety I need something that will stay in my sleeve longer, which means either dense protein or fibre. If I follow the popular "rules" and eat dense protein first at each meal I can't eat enough to get my 80g of protein. (even though I eat 5 meals a day as instructed by my surgeon's plan)

Obviously I'm not a good candidate for eating low carb, so I don't even try anymore. I get my protein from a mix of legumes, low fat dairy, high protein/high fibre cereal, very moist chicken, fish, the occasional egg, and whey supplements. I keep my protein above 80 grams, fibre is generally over 20 grams and my calories sit at about 800.

My weight loss is doing well, my labs are excellent and trips to the biffy are no longer painful. Which just says that there's more than one way to do this. Low carb is great for those that can do it, but it's not the only healthy way to lose after VSG.

It sounds like you react to shakes much like I do to most meats, so I sure understand not wanting to drink them. It took me awhile to find shakes that don't either make me upchuck or taste like chemicals, but I finally found some I like and I'm grateful. Can you eat Greek yogurt or cottage cheese? I find them much less constipating than cheese or chicken. You might also be interested in Hi Lo cereal. It isn't the world's tastiest cereal, but it isn't nasty, and it's pretty decent for both protein and fibre. All Bran I add to Greek yogurt for a serious fibre and satiety boost, without the miserable clogged feeling I have after more than an ounce or so of fish or chicken. Yogurt as a protein source isn't super low carb, but it isn't junk carb, so I ignore that angle.

I might lose a little faster if I forced myself to eat low carb, but I'm losing faster, easier and for longer than I EVER have, so am content puttering along my own wee path.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Debbie R.
on 11/27/12 10:19 am - Cedar Hill, TX
VSG on 02/27/12
Thank you so much for sharing these I love chicken & I am always in search of new foods!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views