My sleeve is a shameless food hussy! Will it ever develop some standards?

MuttLover
on 11/29/12 4:10 am
VSG on 11/14/12

So far, my sleeve is complete food **** -- anything at any temp is just fine with it!  I'm on purees, now, and I honestly think that I could puree a horse, and it would go down OK.

I know many people have just the opposite problem, but my concern is that it's going to continue to be wayyy to easy to eat things.  Today was first day I actually felt some restriction -- I had bigger chunks of super soft chicken in my asparagus soup, so I'm feeling like once I move to more solid food, things won't be so easy.

Is the "anything goes" phase likely to pass?  I'm two full weeks out, and move to soft foods next week.

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/12 4:20 am

Your restriction will kick in when you start eating solids.  But, learn from this, soft foods are slider foods and will remain slider foods for you.  Once you are cleared to eat solid protein, stick with it until goal and you should be just fine.

MuttLover
on 11/29/12 4:45 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Thanks!  I thought today when the bigger chunks of chicken made an impact that I should be good!  I will definitely have to be super diligent about slider foods!  

Italian-Princess
on 11/29/12 4:23 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

You crack me up!  Food ****  That's a great phrase!  I guess Myrtle is a food **** too.  So far, everything I've tried has worked just fine.  The only thing that gives me a little trouble is an egg.  I can eat only about 1/2 an egg and that's all she will accept. 

Once you are having more solid foods, you'll probably feel the food more and will stop at satisfied.........if you get to full, then that's a bit too much. 

I was on clears for a week, then full liquids for 2 weeks, so you're way ahead of where I was at 2 weeks out. 

Be glad you can eat this way already...........as long as you continue to weigh and measure portions, you'll be fine. 

MuttLover
on 11/29/12 4:47 am
VSG on 11/14/12

My new best friends -- a ****ty sleeve and a food scale!  Oh well, at least I can count on them ****il the batteries run out!).

Thanks!

rhearob
on 11/29/12 4:31 am - TN

I didn't really feel much restriction until I got to soft foods and tried some scrambled egg.  OMG  That sat in my stomach like a BRICK.

Trust me, you'll feel it.  Like Elina said - learn from this.  Go back and read Friscos Pyloric Valve post.  Great background on why some are sliders and some clench that valve shut.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

MuttLover
on 11/29/12 4:51 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Thanks!  I've read Frisco's Pyloric Valve Post a couple of times -- it's probably the single most informative piece of info out there to help people understand why things slide through so easily.  So, my "brain" understood the posts before -- now, I fully understand!  And given my ease with purees, I will be avoiding slider foods like the plague!  

It has been interesting to gauge exactly how chunky the meat in my soup needs to be to change the slider behavior!

Thanks for your help!

LindaDarnell B.
on 11/29/12 4:34 am
VSG on 08/07/12

As a relative newbie myself at 4  months, I'm going to say probably not! Yes, you will read posts from many that say they feel immediate restriction "with just a sip of water", LOL! and that will frustrate you! But then just as many claim to have a "titanium sleeve" (raising my hand!). You may be one as well, but that's ok.

If you felt restriction with the chicken in ur soup, then ur GOOD! You definately have restriction, and will get more as time progresses. It was and is a very hard lesson for me to learn. But you probably won't have the restriction you initially thought you would, where a few bites or sips would make you full and then you quit. And that means you will have to be more diligent about what you eat and how. Now I doubt that you can ever eat at the levels you ate before ur sleeve, but you can definitely eat more than you want to in order to lose the weight. Today for lunch, I was able to eat 2 whole chicken wings...and couldve easily eaten another if I didn't make myself stop. There are others that are restricted at one wing-I think that's part physical restriction and part mental. Either way, you have to find a way to make it work for you.

My 2 cents of advices is to stay away from carbs for sure...they go down way too easy and will ruin your plan. Right now is a bit too early for chicken, but be very careful to chew slowly and thoroughly if you do have it. Learn about the foods that will make you full and keep u full (dense protein). Stay away from carbs, fruits, and starches-they will hinder any loss. Just consider yourself in a long-term Atkins plan (after you finish ur soft stage), and that's how u beat the weight. VSGers like us have to work much harder than others. I made the decision that if my sleeve wouldn't help me, then I would help my sleeve, lol. That means if I can consume more than the standard proverbial half cup of food (which i can and i do) then I try to make it "worthwhile" food or what I consider, low impact. That means it's mostly a meat or protein that will fill me up and keep me there and won't cause havoc to my plan. So maybe i have a cup or two of chicken salad, or my homemade chilli (not wendy's bc of the high sugar content).

It's frustrating but it gets better! Good luck to you!!!!

~Regena from SC: /Surgery Weight 317/Highest Weight 321

MuttLover
on 11/29/12 4:44 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Thanks!  I was successful on Atkins before, so I know that plan VERY well, and is what I expect.  My plan progresses pretty fast -- so basically right now, anything I can puree is on plan.  Today's chicken wasn't as "pureed" as my other purees and I did feel it!  

stillalb
on 11/29/12 12:21 pm

Thank you so much for this post and this reply. I know that we each have our own individual journey and our own individual sleeve. But, it is very worrying to me that I don't have 'restriction' , that things go down so much more 'easily' for me than for others, that it is not the same for me as what I read on some posts. I so very much want to be successful. It really helps to hear a perspective other than the sleeve kinda made it easier. I am not trying to demean anyone's struggles. Just appreciate your tips. Thank you very much for sharing.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views