Bad back. Trying to decide what surgery to have.

vdub1968
on 12/1/12 12:19 pm - OH
VSG on 01/28/13 with

Well I will give you some info about me. I weigh 360lb and I would like to lose 120lb. I have a bad back I have been living with for years (over 15). I have a herniated disc, degenerative disc disease and the cartilage is very thin to gone between a couple disc. My doctor suggested to go until I can't stand the pain any longer then look into surgery. I know even with weight loss im going to have pain but my nsaids really help me. My weight loss doctor is wanting me to get RNY to lose more weight faster. He suggested for the back pain take tylenol and water therapy. I know tylenol and water therapy won't help me so im considering the sleeve. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I'm trying to decide between the two surgeries and its only two weeks away from surgery time

karismommy231
on 12/1/12 12:30 pm, edited 12/1/12 8:30 pm
VSG on 11/05/12
You can't have NSAIDS with the sleeve either. at least that's what my surgeon says. I've seen other posts that said they can take them but not sure how long you have to wait after surgery.

HW: 235, SW: 227, CW: 152.0, 83 lbs lost since 10/22/12 --Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, breathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and good things will be yours.

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/12 1:08 pm - Musquash, NB, Canada
VSG on 10/02/12

I have two herniated discs, two compressed discs, a Degenerative Spine, and Fibromyalgia. On a good day, my life is hell. I went with VSG, my surgeon allows NSAIDS, my father is also a surgeon and said NSAIDS ok as long as the surgery has healed. RNY you cannot have NSAIDS. I have lost 104 pounds, 81 pounds since January and since Surgery 45 pounds. I am still in pain... I know I will be for life. BUT I control the pain, the pain does not control me. I have gotten rid of my cane, I workout at a gym  at least 3x's per week, 15 Minutes Elliptical, 30 Treadmill and 30 Bike. I do strength training focusing on my back and other sore areas to help build muscles in the areas I need more support with. My amount of pain medication has reduced dramatically since surgery and 1 Extra strength Advil and 1 Tylenol Extra Strength together is what I take for pain control. I used to take a minimum of 4 ES Advil and 3 ES Tylenol every 6 hours. if that did not help, I had the bigger guns, but tried to stay away because I didn't want to live dazed and confused. My thoughts... this surgery. VSG. I am walking better say everyone, cane gone, pain meds reduced, and exercising like a mad woman.

MY life is so much better now. If I choose to have back surgery, at least I will have aframe of reference to how bad I was before and know what I can handle and how quality of life has been improved. 

I hope this helps. I have no regrets. Take care,

Danielle

slimpickins5280
on 12/1/12 1:11 pm - CO

Depends on the surgeon. Some allow NSAIDS some don't.

Since it sounds like you are going to eventually have 2 surgeries no matter what (back and WLS), I think I'd go with the Sleeve. When you have a physical restriction, imo the last thing you need is to ALSO have the lifelong restrictions you will have with the RNY. The malabsorption is forever.

The reason why I chose the Sleeve was because my surgeon told me that over a person's lifetime, it fits better. As I get older, if I need a medication for my heart, etc, the Sleeve allows those medications to be taken.

Which ever surgery you pick, you have have to make the most of it.

Good luck.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

MrsClaus09
on 12/1/12 11:08 pm

I have degenerative disc disease, numerous herniations, nerve damage and I have had surgery (twice) on my spine.  I chose VSG and have been incredibly pleased with my decision.  Wouldn't have wanted any other surgery.  As for NSAIDS, I take them with NO problem.  As a matter of fact, I do everything that I did prior to surgery...the only differences are that I feel better, get around better, eat less and am living a much healthier life.  Good luck!

My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
justpete
on 12/1/12 11:11 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

I too have bad back problems (collapsed vertebrae, fractures vertibrae, etc etc).  I think either surgery will be beneficial to you.  Ask your doctor about using an antacid along with your NSAID to help prevent stomach ulcers etc.  I take a lot of medication for my autoimmune disorders and take a daily pantaloc as preventive measure.  You may lose more with RNY and a bit faster, but i think the choice ultimately depends on whether you feel you'll need the malabsoptive effect along with the slowed/restrictive limitations of just the VSG.

karismommy231
on 12/1/12 11:51 pm
VSG on 11/05/12

I haven't spoken about this on these boards but I also have degenerative disc disease, a herniated disc and isthmic spondylolisthesis of S1-L5-L4 since I was a teenager and I knew going in I was NOT allowed to have my NSAIDS anymore. I have lived with this most of my life, skinny or fat. Again NSAIDS use depends on your surgeon (ask him!) and as others have said once your stomach is healed some doctors allow NSAIDS with a PPI. I pretty much lived on Ibuprofen 800 mg 2x a day before surgery. Tylenol is now my friend along with my awesome chiropractor and hot showers on my back every morning. I had to wear my surgical belly wrap for the first week back to work because I was having severe pain in my left back and side shooting down my left leg. The wrap helped. I felt like crying and tylenol barely touched it. But I dealt with it.

I was just thinking....do you carry a lot of belly fat? I know I do. That is where I carry most of my fat. If so....if you lose the weight too quick it will cause major excess skin (more so than normal) and that may hurt your back even more with the pulling of the skin and the redistribution of gravity on your body. This is another reason why I chose VSG instead of RNY because I didn't want more excess skin from the faster weight loss. If I had RNY I would of needed plastics (tummy tuck) in my future. I am confident I won't now.

I am also starting physical therapy again once I heal up from surgery to help strengthen my back muscles and have a exercise ball to do stretches and back exercises on. I know these are complete fixes to my back but I will try anything to avoid surgery. I know I will have this the rest of my life even if I am skinny. The extra weight doesn't help but losing it won't be a complete fix either! Maybe try the alternative therapies and see where they take you?

So my advice is to get VSG for many reasons (less skin due to a slower weight loss, no malabsorption, you will still have a pyloric valve, no dumping syndrome, etc) and if you need the NSAIDS once your stomach is healed you may be able to take them if your doctor approves it. Good luck!

vdub1968
on 12/2/12 12:41 am - OH
VSG on 01/28/13 with

I would prefer to have the sleeve myself because I know in the future I will be needing back surgery so im kinda leaning towards the sleeve as of now. I have tried water therapy and tylenol and it didn't help any at all. My thought is if I get the sleeve I could still take nsaids and be able to exercise alot more than without nsaids on the rny.

michael B.
on 12/2/12 7:29 am - MA
VSG on 03/19/12

I have 2 slipped disc 's in my lower back At 330 lbs most days I couldn't tie my own shoes. Since VSG I have lost 140lbs in 8 months and have ZERO back issues. I run 3-5 miles 3 days a week and do a Crossfit class also...no back issues!

Burnsy  (ticker starts 2wks pre op)                        
MsBatt
on 12/2/12 11:16 am

You should also consider the DS (duodenal switch) form of WLS. The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY. The DS provides permanent malabsorption of calories, which is why it has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period. And yes, you can take NSAIDs with the DS---I've been taking Aleve daily for nearly nine years now with my DS. (And I took it daily for many, many years before my DS, too.)

However---not all surgeons can do the DS, so not all surgeons tell their patients about it. That would be kind of like expecting the Ford dealer to tell you what you really need is the new Lexus, which you can get at the dealer down the street. (*grin*)

You can learn more about the DS on the DS board here at OH, and at http://www.dsfacts.com

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views