Dumping Syndrome?

Lujansgirl
on 12/2/12 10:59 am

I am so new to this whole thing.  Surgery was on Tuesday (6 days ago).  I am only able to eat the soft foods at this point (and plan on it for about a month).  Well today I found the pineapple juice in the back of the fridge and had an 8oz cup of that.  I also had about 1/2 C refried beans for dinner.  Then about a half hour after those items my tummy started making all sorts of noises, and right now I'm not sure if I'm going to end up running to the toilet or if I'm just "airy".  I was told dumping syndrome was not something with this procedure, but I'm starting to think differently.  Has anyone else had dumping syndrome with this new lifestyle?  Is there a way to remedy it or is it something you just have to let pass?  

SuzyNZ
on 12/2/12 1:02 pm
VSG on 09/17/12

It was possibly the pineapple juice being too sweet, or too acidic that is upsetting your tummy.  On my plan, I was only allowed very diluted juices post-op.  Im almost 3 months out and still only drink diluted juices as my tummy doesn't like anything too sweet.

remember that at this stage, liquids in equals liquids out is very common.  I had the opposite problem of nothing out for 9 days after surgery, but normal now.

Just stick with diluted juices for the moment. :)

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Calking
on 12/2/12 1:42 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

You are going way faster than most people.  I think that the normal is more like 2 weeks out or more before seeing pureed foods and then that for awhile before seeing soft foods.

That being said if you eat or drink things that are sweet and sugary such as pineapple juice you are likely to have issues this early out.  Not to mention that pineapple juice is fairly acidic and I would expect you to feel nauseous after drinking it and perhaps even get some heartburn.  

I had some cantaloupe a few months ago and reacted badly to that ... I believe it is another case of being too sweet.  Many people will have issues with the sweetness or things that are overly acidic especially early on as you are.

Even if your doc has cleared you for these types of foods you can always stay at a certain stage until you are comfortable moving on.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/2/12 2:13 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
How long was that juice in the back of the fridge?

Pineapple or its juice is tremendeously sweet and acidic. Your new tummy probably just didn't like it. Doesn't sound like dumping which is fairly rare with VSGers and more common, but still only abt 30%, with the RnY folks. Baby your new tummy...I am 8 weeks out and no juice of any kind has passed my lips so far...apart from zero sugar cranberry watered down.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

mickeymantle
on 12/2/12 2:16 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

did you have the juice and beans at the same time? thats a no-no

Lujansgirl
on 12/2/12 9:03 pm
No, I think there was about an hour in between them. The juice was about a week old.. so it was still ok. I forgot about the acidic situation there. Ya, probably new tummy didn't care much for it.
I think I will star****ering down my foods too. Like the refried beans are probably too thick. I just don't know what to eat!
dcsabrina
on 12/2/12 9:43 pm - MD
Since surgery, if I eat or drink anything with sugar (for example I tried just a 1/4 cup of egg nog in a protein shake), I get cramping followed by an urgent and less than pleasant trip to the bathroom. I suspect this may fade with time, but for now I'm trying to be extra vigilant.

Lap band July 2008, revised to VSG November 2012.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 98 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views