Spams and cramps after I swallow, normal?

Rita M.
on 12/3/12 1:58 am - Webster, MA

Hi OH family,

well I am 4 days post-op, stage 3, and I am still struggling with swallowing or rather with anything I drink or eat (all liquid). I feel it going down my esophagus without a problem and then when it hits the  new stomach I feel a small but powerful cramp or spasm (best way I can describe it) for about 2 seconds and then it passes.

I also have those cramps and spasms in between out of the blue.

Anyway, a little concerned and wondering if that is in the "normal" range?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Hugs,

Rita 

Angel1974
on 12/3/12 2:06 am
VSG on 06/04/12

I used to get that after surgery.   Remember you have a new stomach and i think is normal to have spasms  in the first couple of days.  If this is still happening in the next week or so, call your doctor and mention it.  

As far as the drinking part, make sure that the liquid you are drinking is a room temperature.  It might be to cold or hot for your new stomach.

Follow my progress on my youtube channel
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCARrPUdk_U

Rita M.
on 12/3/12 2:11 am - Webster, MA

Thanks for the input Angel. Yeah all my liquids are room temp and again I am only 4 days post-op so maybe my stomach is still just too swollen and that is why this is happening. Not sure but will call my surgeon today and ask.

Hugs,

Rita

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/12 2:58 am

I have read about this phenomenon many times, so I guess it is par for the course. However, if you are concerned you should phone your surgeon's office and inquire. That said, you might try different temperatures of liquid. I know that I only tolerated room temperature drinks for the first several days after surgery. Then I liked warm. It took about two weeks before I could drink anything cool and about a month for anything cold. I didn't cramp, per se, but cold liquid just felt too heavy in my new stomach.

Rita M.
on 12/3/12 3:22 am - Webster, MA

Thanks for the info. All my liquids are room temp and I did call the doc already since I am concerned. I have not read anywhere that anyone had this issue other then a couple days after surgery and it is day 4 post-op for me so I am not sure if that is in the normal range.

Hugs,

Rita

band2sleeve_2012
on 12/3/12 7:45 am

My surgeon prescribed "Hyoscyamine Sulfate" 0.125 Sublingual.  One tablet dissolved under tongue every four hours as needed. It helped immensely !! good luck. 

5'6"     HW+SW 300      CW 214      GW 170 
                                        Lap Band Removed 1/16/2012  Sleeved 4/24/2012          

Rita M.
on 12/4/12 6:54 am - Webster, MA

Thanks,

I looked up this medication and it is manly used for IBS.......I have really bad GERD and it also says not to take it if you have GERD or only take that with the OK of your doctor.

Anyway, spoke to my surgeon today and he said to keep on waiting a while longer and take MOM and see what happens but it is not time to be concerned yet.

sheranfour
on 12/3/12 10:18 am

Hello there Miss Rita!!

OK...you now know you're "normal".

But really in my opinion...you're BETTER than normal! Calling your Doc and not waiting to see what happens, but getting the answers from the surgeons office is so key! AND...You're one tough chick who's gonna beat down anything else that comes your way!!!

You Rock!!!

~Deb

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 116 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 346 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 397 views