Questions for Vets

Pollyanna16
on 12/14/12 11:33 am
VSG on 12/28/12

All of the people on this site are so good about answering questions. Thank you all.I'm having my endoscope Monday. My surgery is scheduled for Dec 28. I have been reading daily I learned alot but I have to ask the vets, is your life back to normal? (as far as not vomiting, BM issues, dumping ) If you eat what you are suppose to, and don't eat foods you shouldn't,  drink your water, and exercise. is it really good?. I'm doing  this bc of all the health issues I have. My BMI is 38. if I lose weight Great. but I have to do this for my health. I have no family support. So I'm hoping some of you will be my family support. Any advise is always welcome. thank you so very much. God Bless all of you. Polly

cece58
on 12/14/12 11:45 am - CA

I am 2.5 years out. I am not back to what was normal before my surgery. I am much, much better. I am healthier than I ever have been. I still have restriction and I have learned to manage my eating. It is really pretty easy. I don't have problems at parties, when I go out to dinner and when I am with friends who don't know that I had surgery.  I can look at a hamburger and know that there is no way I could eat it. But the truth is, I don't even want it. I plan my meals better and am mindful of what I eat. I am also much happier than I have ever been and as I said,  healthier. My labs are excellent and I have endless energy. My only issue is that I spend too much money on clothes. You will do great.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Pollyanna16
on 12/14/12 12:08 pm
VSG on 12/28/12

WOW, That's great. You are very inspiring, thanks for writing back.  Polly

dianne220
on 12/14/12 11:48 am - TX
VSG on 10/02/12

I am not a vet but my life has been back to normal since about 6 weeks post op.  I had surgery on 10-02.  I only vomited when I got dehydrated. I learned my lesson!  It's amazing how great I feel.  I exercise 5-7 times a week for almost a month now.  Love it!

5' 8.75" HW 278 / Doctor supervised Diet 271 / SW 247 / Doctor's goal 175 / Personal Goal 167/ Current weight 155/  M1: 24.8  M2: 10.8  M3: 10.8  M4: 10.4  M5: 7.6  M6: 10.6  M7:  6.6  M8:  5.6  M9:  5.0

happymom80
on 12/14/12 11:50 am - MO
VSG on 03/05/12

I'm by no means a vet yet, but I am past 9 months and have had good success so far. I do not have issues with vomiting or dumping. I don't think actual "dumping" really happens to most people with the VSG just b/c of the way it is put together. 

Constipation was the biggest struggle I've had. I add fiber in and have tried lots of different things. For the first several months I took a regimen of stool softners - like 3 at night and 2 in the morning most days. That worked nicely. Then my dr. suggested doing miralax a couple times a week as needed. I tried it...it didn't work so well. Then I forgot to buy more stool softeners and low and behold, it's moving again! Not always perfectly...but in the past month, I have been doing alright with it. So maybe it does get better! :)

The worst thing that has happened to me was having a gallbladder attack. That was excruciating and awful! As far as I can tell, gallbladder issues are a pretty common side effect to rapid weight loss. I haven't had another attack since then (it was only a month ago), so I haven't followed up with my dr on it yet. There are varying opinions on this - for me I'm going to try to avoid another surgery as long as I can. I think after Christmas sometime, I am going to do a gallbladder/liver cleanse and give it a shot. 

Exercise is AWESOME! Just an FYI...it is so much fun when you're losing weight and watching your body kick ass and do what it was meant to do! The first time I ran 3 miles on the treadmill I got off and just wanted to scream to everyone in the gym about how much I kick ass! Seriously! And now I'm doing a weight training, body building program and I love seeing how much stronger I get and not being all scared. I keep trying new things and I'll start with this mindset like I can't do it, my body just doesn't do that...and I try...and it is awesome! My body can do so much! I love it! 

So make sure you exercise...especially if you don't yet. It is hard and takes time. I hurt myself the first few times after surgery when I would start a running program. My body just wasn't strong enough for it yet...my muscles and stuff weren't working properly. Be patient with yourself and enjoy the transformation! It's so freaking cool! :-D

HW: 350+ (I didn't look after that)  SW: 328  

Pollyanna16
on 12/14/12 12:34 pm
VSG on 12/28/12

Thanks for responding. I don't have a gallbladder anymore, those attacks are terrible. I exercise 3 times a week now. planning on kicking it up after. thanks for your words of wisdom. polly

vsgwife
on 12/14/12 12:31 pm
VSG on 11/05/12

Hi Polly,

my husband is almost 6 weeks post op. he is pretty much back to normal. We are running three days a week. He has only vomited once since surgery and has had the foamies twice (his own fault). This is such a learning process!  Where are you having surgery? Jim had his at Riverside in Columbus. Good luck!  You'll do great!

hugs,

Kelly

HW: 327    SW:  314    CW  211    GW:  185     

Pollyanna16
on 12/14/12 12:58 pm
VSG on 12/28/12

That is great to hear that he is doing well. I heard Riverside had a really good program. The only reason I chose not to go there, was bc they had a 6 week or 6 month program before surgery. I chose to go with Trace Curry in Cincinnati. Thank you for writing back. Best of luck to your husband. Polly

NanaDebby65
on 12/14/12 12:32 pm - North Richland Hills, TX

Polly, we started out about the same weight. I was considered a lightweight. I'm almost 3 years post-op and lovin' life.

I have never vomited post-op unless it had something to do with a virus. Early post-op I did have constipation issues but since I eat more fiber/fat now I have no issues. I did dump early post-op but that went away by the time I was at goal and concentrating on maintaining (9 months post-op).

I eat anything/everything I want. My motto is 90% on plan but not 100% perfect. I am very protein forward. I usually consume 120-150 grams daily. I do still drink protein shakes (2 per day) because I found one I like. I honestly think I'm addicted to them. LOL! This has worked great for me but your mileage may vary.

I always drink 80+oz of water per day. This is not an option for me because sodium is not my friend. I have to flu**** out of my system to keep from puffing up like a frog.

I did not exercise regularly until about 3 months ago. I have discovered zumba and absolutely LOVE it. I do 4 hours per week. I'm also going to give a spin class a try tomorrow morning. It might just kill me though. LOL!

I too had health issues. I was diabetic, had sleep apnea, was borderline high blood pressure and have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Losing 100 lbs has made all the difference. My diabetes is in remission. I no longer have sleep apnea or blood pressure issues. Nothing will cure the RA but since losing the weight I can move more easily and my joints dont hurt near as much.

If you need any support/help, feel free to contact me. I honestly will be glad to help you. I honestly have to say this is the best thing I have EVER done for myself.

Good luck!!

HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
Pollyanna16
on 12/14/12 1:15 pm
VSG on 12/28/12

WOW, now that is what I want to hear Good for you! .Aren't you worried about your kidneys with that much protein? I have all the diagnosis you have plus OA, fibro, gout. every joint hurts, which is why I need to get this weight off my knees.I think I will probably keep up with the shakes as well. they are so convenient. Thanks,  Polly

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views