Shopping suggestions....

luvbskts
on 12/16/12 5:45 am

My surgery is 12/26, what should I be stocking up on for my "food" once I get home?  How many different flavors of protein shakes?  Do they go bad?  Is there a brand that's better than others? 

On my list now is:

Cream of Wheat, various plain soups, sf jello and pudding, instant mashed potatoes, refried beans..what am I missing or what should I take off my list?

Today, I am an emotional mess.  I've had lots of tears and doubts.  Prayers would be appreciated.

Saukratees
on 12/16/12 5:49 am - GA
VSG on 11/14/12

Prayer is free!  I got you!

I LOVE the Vanilla Premier Protein Shake

Michael L.
on 12/16/12 5:58 am - Fall River, MA
You are going to do Amazing!! Our God is Greater!! I will pray as well.

I have two favorite protein shakes!

For a RTD(ready to drink)
My first choice is Ultra Pure Protein, Cookies and Cream (35grams of protein)
Amazon is the cheapest

For a powdered protein:
I like Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle
23grams of protein per scoop
You can by sample packs online, i believe BJ's wholesale online not to be confused with the member shopping warehouse sells them cheap.

God Bless
Michael
www.lessofmike.com

hw 500  sw 462  cw 383     

mickeymantle
on 12/16/12 5:59 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i like the chocolate premier shakes better

don't buy to much of anything tastes change and if you have a *****y sleeve it may not like some types of food

ask you nut what you can eat and then try them to see if you can eat them

Italian-Princess
on 12/16/12 6:14 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Hi

It's sometimes not the best thing to stock up on protein powders or RTD shakes -- some people find their tastes change post-op.  Mine didn't, but I've seen so many posts where they did for others.  The RTDs don't go bad as far as I know.  I love Premier Protein shakes -- they have them in chocolate and vanilla at Sam's -- I've heard they also come in strawberry.

Please check with your nutritionist about the instant mashed potatoes.  I was told LOUDLY and MANY TIMES not to use instant mashed potatoes.  I didn't ask why -- at the time I was so inundated with info that it never occurred to me to ask -- but even my printed material stresses NO INSTANT............could be a thing with my nutritionist, too.  Anyway, please check to be on the safe side.

You might want to get some Crystal Light and/or Mio to flavor your water.  Some folks who could handle plain water pre-op have trouble with it post-op.  I like it just for a change once in a while.  I'd ask your nutritionist about caffeine, too.  I wasn't allowed caffeine until the 5th month.  For a morning hot drink, I started used herbal teas.  They come 18-20 bags in a box and while I was never a tea drinker pre-op, I like it now.  It's good to have something tummy-settling around, too.  The Celestial Seasons Vanilla Chamomile Honey tea is my favorite.  Also makes nice iced herbal tea in the summer.

Got ya covered on the good thoughts/prayers.  What your going through is normal.  Anything you experience right now is normal -- just YOUR normal.  We all have our own ways of coping.  This is major surgery -- you are agreeing to have a good part of a functioning organ removed.  This isn't easy.  Doubts and fears and expected.  Be very patient with yourself, remember the reasons you decided to have this surgery and then find a good place to be mentally and try to stay there.  I know that having a great attitude is extremely helpful in getting through any surgery. I've had so many surgeries that I didn't fret one second about this one.

One more thing I'd like to suggest..........start weighing and measuring your food now as a pre-op and log it do a food diary.  Lots of folks here on OH use MyFitnessPal.  It will help you learn now about logging and will keep you accountable now and post-op.  If you want to friend me there, I am Justme72847 there. 

Keep posting -- ask questions you can't find answers to by using the search function at the top of the OH page -- and let us know how you're doing.  This is a great place to get encouragement and support -- the folks here are warm, loving, patient, generous with advice and info, and genuinely want all of us to succeed.  It's the same at MFP -- both places are extremely important to me because of the wonderful people I've met.  I think you'll find that to be true for you, too.

Good luck................

Ree

Christine Heusinger
on 12/16/12 8:17 am - GA

I don't think anyone mentioned sugar-free popsicles. I found them a very refreshing treat.  I too found myself drinking more tea than I ever have in the past, however, I am a tea snob and I have my own favorite blends that I get at a local tea store.

My fav protein shake is chocolate Unjury. I have sampled many, many brands and this one tasted more like chocolate milk than a protein.

I tried both vanilla and banana Bariatric Advantage and GAGGED. The vanilla went directly down the sink. I was able to drink 1/2 the banana shake before I gagged.

Isopure clear drinks is another product to consider. I could NOT swallow the Alpine Punch. A friend brought me a six-pack... it tasted like a liquid lolly-pop. Even after adding about 20 ounces of water it was too sweet.  

But I DO like the orange. LOTS of protein in those bottles!

My surgeon said absolutely NO tomato products for about 6 weeks because of the possibility of it causing ulcers. He said he'd be happy if I NEVER had citrus juice again!  

Many people have real strict pre-surgical diets, my doctor had me on liquids for two days prior and two weeks after.  A friend of mine had NO restrictions and she went to an Indian buffet the day before surgery. No, I really, really don't recommend that!! LOL!

I'm not sure why I didn't go through the tears and doubts. The closer to my surgery date the more excited I became but never scared or doubting.

Good luck to you and I pray for you and for your surgeon!

Chris

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

JAlston
on 12/16/12 10:44 am
VSG on 12/07/12

I just had surgery on 12/7, my tastes changed a little bit. I have some sugar free popsicles but I havent eaten as many as I thought because they taste sour (weird). I have 2 favorite protein powders, both made by Unjury. Chicken soup is my ultimate favorite, I drink it twice a day- 21 grams of protein. The other is the chocolate splendor flavor, I mix it with soy milk for added protein and PB2 (powdered peanut butter- more protein). 

My favorite ready to drink is premier protein chocolate, however I used it pre-op and am not allowed to have it post op because it is whey concentrate not isolate. But it is my favorite taste by far, thin, not chalky and I looked forward to drinking it. Check your plan to see if it is allowed. 

Make sure you have your vitamins. I also bought some GasX strips, they helped a little. 

Buy small containers if you don't have them now...they have taken over my fridge! A smaller size drink bottle (8-12oz) is helpful as well, I keep my rubbermade one with me because I am still not good on eyeballing the measurement of liquid.

Good luck! I am sure you will do great!

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views