Approval for Medicare?

angelheart1
on 12/17/12 5:00 am

I was told by one of the Bariatric Surgeon's secretary that she'd been told that Medicare JUST approved today for the pymt of VSG!

I'd spoken w/Medicare yesterday & told her that the young man had said that they only approve for GB, BPD/DS & the band. She's checking into & will contact me later to see if this is correct. I'll let everyone know when I find out.

debiosbo
on 12/17/12 11:46 am - WA
VSG on 02/06/13

I also talked to my Dr.to day and she said it should  be any day now that medicare will cover it, I then went home and call  medicare the lady there looked on the computer and said no ,but that wouldnt of been changed there yet.please post as soon as you hear something ,I will check as offen as I can and will also check to see what I can find out tomorrow thanks Debi

angelheart1
on 12/17/12 2:32 pm

I will let y'all know. She might not get back to me today but when it happens, I'll write.

I hope that all of you have a magnificent day!

mokee
on 12/17/12 12:41 pm - OH

The sleeve was approved thru Medicare back in June.  I had surgery 3 weeks ago and I presume Medicare paid for it.  You can not get a pre-approval from Medicare.  My surgeon had to jump thru some hoops about 3 months ago to get the Medicare thing straightened out.  I am sure the surgeon would not have done the surgery if there was any doubt that they would not pay.

It is amazing how the customer service people are the last to know.  Our government.

debiosbo
on 12/17/12 1:26 pm - WA
VSG on 02/06/13

I belive that is what they are doing adding gastric sleeve to their  list of will  approve with the band and gastric bypass that they already cover

angelheart1
on 12/17/12 2:30 pm

Thanks to all the ladies *****plyed. This makes me very happy!

I truly want to have the DS but w/just a BMI of 35.2, I know that none of the surgeons would do this surgery on me, so the next best thing for me will be the sleeve!

katie L.
on 12/18/12 4:25 am

Hi, all.  I am waiting on approval from Medicare it's been six weeks. My Dr. gave me a date for Dec. 5 than changed it to the 26, only if I get approved by Medicare before than. I have to have a filter put in a week before my surgery. I call yesterday I;m still not approved. Medicare said they will pay when the bills are received., but the Doctor will not do the surgery unless I am approved first. It just a circle, at this date I don't think I will have my surgery this year. Please post any news you get about Medicare.

angelheart1
on 12/18/12 6:14 am

I haven't heard anything from Mary yet.

Does anyone think that I should just try to get the approval now or wait till I've spoken w/the program's person who handles the insurance process?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 67 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 252 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 320 views