Sleep Apnea question

BlossomD
on 12/21/12 11:20 am
VSG on 03/19/13

Has anyone been diagnosed with sleep apnea before surgery, then went onto a cpap machine then after bariatric surgery and having lost a good amount of weight had their sleep apnea resolve? 

Christine Heusinger
on 12/21/12 12:28 pm - GA

Actually, I have heard it several times!

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

mokee
on 12/21/12 2:34 pm - OH

I refused to be tested.  I think this is the biggest farse there is.  I know of 7 people in my personal life that were diagnosed with sleep apnea and sold a machine or there insurance paid for it and used said machine for 2 weeks and is so uncomfortable or for numerous other reasons have put it in the closet and there it sits.  I refused to go thru this wasted expense for me and my insurance.

sheranfour
on 12/21/12 7:01 pm, edited 12/21/12 7:03 pm

If you have this surgery then you are making a commitment to follow Doctor orders and get healthy. MAKE NO MISTAKE...SLEEP APNEA CAN BE DEADLY! I am not an alarmist by nature but I am a nurse, who has sleep apnea...my father died of sleep apnea ( Blood pressures rise while you sleep because your body is struggling to breathe)...and if you were told you need it by a reputable sleep lab and your Doc prescribed a CPap or BiPap...wear it! I know it can be uncomfortable...but dying in your sleep, or cracking up your car( possibly cracking up someone else as well) due to not sleeping is not fun either!A lot of folks with sleep apnea...if left untreated, suffer headaches,high blood pressure, exhaustion and fall asleep at the wheel without warning. If you ignore your Docs orders...then you are risking your health.

Mokee=Please do a search online or talk to a Doc for more info before you tell everyone this is a "farse". If you chose to toss your machine in the closet...don't tell others that it's fine too as well. In MY world...that's like saying " Well you had WLS but in a year you have no restriction...so forget having WLS...it's a farse". Sorry...but I'm a bit passionate abt people giving each other BAD medical advice...unless you are a Doc or can back it up with facts.

BlossomD= Yes...you call the sleep lab as you loose weight and they adjust the measurements so you get the right amt of treatment. When you lose 100 Lbs...you usually go back for retest...and often can be discharged from it. My Doc says that MOST successful WLS patients become sleep apnea free near goal...depending on how much you have to lose.

Sorry guys...I guess I'm a bit "fiesty" this morning. Have a great day all!

~Deb

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
Paul5678
on 12/21/12 8:58 pm - United Kingdom

Off CPAP about a year postop.  Sleep apnoea can be a killer so don't ignore it!

Saukratees
on 12/21/12 9:06 pm - GA
VSG on 11/14/12

"Deb and Paul" are quite correct!  If you have sleep apnea and don't get it treated, you can kick the bucket!

I was diagnosed 1 1/2 years before my sleeve.  After my sleeve, I came off of my CPAP.

Foolow your Doc's orders!

Ken

lynnbabeny
on 12/21/12 10:59 pm - VT
VSG on 07/02/12

Agree with those who say how important it is to follow your Doc's advice.  I was on Bi-pap (needed air going in, less pressure when I exhaled) for 10 years before VSG and just had a retest because I've lost over 100#.  I still have sleep apnea (obesity isn't the only cause-normal wt people have it too!) but need less pressure and only need a C-pap now- so improved but not cured.  Used correctly, it can really improve your health and quality of life.

Lynn

HW-322 (11/11)  SW-276

time4me2now
on 12/21/12 11:03 pm
VSG on 05/24/12

Yes.  I've been on a CPAP for about a year.  It takes a while to get adjusted to it, but the increased energy and concentration from getting a good night's sleep is so worth it.  6 months after surgery and 70 lbs down, my doctor ordered an overnight pulsox test (so glad I didn't have to go thru another sleep study).  My oxygen levels were good, so they took me off the CPAP.  Yeah!

HW 266  SW 243  CW 161  

BlossomD
on 12/22/12 12:38 am
VSG on 03/19/13

I do have to say that for almost two weeks I've had my cpap I have noticed a big difference.  I am now a believer that sleep apnea is  a real thing and cpap will help tremendously.  the first few nights the machine drove me up the wall but I feel so much better and I have adjusted to it I think pretty well.  I know it will take a little more time to be 100% use to it but it's worth it.  I feel better. 

Thank you for your responses everyone.   kiss

Jenny S.
on 12/22/12 11:16 am
Cpap & sleep apnea is no joke. I have had it for 4 years. I have an uncle that died from it in his sleep. It takes a little while to get used to the mask but once you do your good to go. It's really important to listen to your Dr. & not just make up rules as you go. My insurance co makes you have a sleep study & be sure your apnea is under control prior to surgery.
5' 2" 272 age 41

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 235 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views