Looking into getting the VSG, advice?

May Q.
on 12/28/12 12:46 am
VSG on 06/26/13

Hi my name is May,

I have struggled with weight for since i was a child. Basically when i have lost the pounds, it could never maintain it for longer than 6 months. Then the weight will come back. I have tried exercise, diets etc..

Anyways long story short- My coworker started to talk to me about having WLS. So i have been reading anything I can about it.

I have decided that I want to get the VSG even though it can have complications such as leakage.

Anyone that has done the gastric sleeve, please tell me your feelings when you were thinking about getting it, and what helped you overcome that? In what way did you view this surgery that made you say to your self, I HAVE TO even though there are risks.?

Thanks

-May

Calking
on 12/28/12 6:15 am
VSG on 05/31/12

First of all you should know that the risks aren't as great as you are imagining.  The risk is actually less than having a laparoscopic gall bladder surgery.  Leakage is relatively rare.  Although it can happen it really isn't that likely.  Make sure you find a surgeon that has done a lot of these surgeries.  Mine had done over 4000 of these so I had no issues putting my health in his hands.  When a surgeon is that practiced in a surgery you have a better chance of things going without a hitch so to speak.

The main thing that stuck in my mind is that I had met a woman about 4 years prior to my having the surgery and she was about 3 months post op and doing great.  She was a success.  She shared her story without hesitation and that encouraged me.  

My thoughts as well is that this year I turned 50 and had diabetes II and my feet are nerve damaged pretty badly.  I started to get a hint of the nerve damage in my hands ... very slightly.  I realized within a year my hands would be in as bad shape as my feet and within a couple years the next thing is I would likely be blind.  Nothing to mess with.  For me this was an easy decision.  Facing loss of feeling in my hands and going blind if I did nothing was enough to outweigh by huge amounts the possibility of issues with this surgery. 

May 9th, 2012 ...  I was 231 pounds and last week I weighed in at 138 pounds.  I was extremely successful and would do it all over even if I had some issues to start with as long as I had the same results.  If you are unlucky enough to get a leak, it can be fixed.  Sure it isn't fun (from what I have seen from the 2 or 3 people I have seen posted here) and you don't want it but getting a leak is not an end all issue.  I bet if you asked the question of those people that had a leak if they regret the surgery you would get a huge nope.

My question to you is what complications or issues will you have if you do nothing?  Those are very likely guaranteed.  A leak is not a very likely consequence of having the surgery.  So when you weigh all the issues and money you will spend on preventing and treating those issues while doing nothing vs the surgery and only a slight possibility of an issue popping up ... which is better?

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

May Q.
on 12/28/12 7:10 am
VSG on 06/26/13

Hi Calking - Thanks a lot for replying to my post. You are absolutely right. I need to get over my fears and move forward.

Again thanks

Sarah W.
on 12/28/12 6:55 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
Interview multiple surgeons. Make sure you feel comfortable with the office staff, the nutritionist, the aftercare.

I wish I had done it sooner. But I'm glad I didn't because I would have had the lap band.

I didn't want to wait for insurance, I decided to do it and I was in the OR in about a month and a half after going to my 2nd seminar at KC Bariatric.

Yes, complications can arise. My surgeon does leak test while you're under and open so the risks are mitigated. Talk to the doctors about your fears and ask them if they do anything to prevent leaks, etc. This is something they take seriously, and their education with you should cover warning signs and what to do. My doctor's office answers the phone 24x7. Having access to great medical after care and feeling secure was as important to me as my surgeon's success rate.

Best of luck to you on your decisions.

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

May Q.
on 12/28/12 7:13 am
VSG on 06/26/13

Hi Sarah - Thanks for your advice.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views