Stupid husband tricks -- and the foamies - an oh yes, I feel my restriction!

MuttLover
on 1/12/13 7:44 am
VSG on 11/14/12

As I have mentioned before, I have a cast iron sleeve.  No food bothers it, no foamies, etc.  Today I had my first foamie experience, and I am absolving myself of at least some of the responsibility on this one!

We met friends at a BBQ restaurant -- the smoked turkey there is great!  Very soft and moist.  So, in order to make sure I didn't accidentally overeat, I told hubby to get me 4oz of turkey and green beans. (You can order meat by weight there or in a variety of other ways).  I thought this would be great -- I'd eat half of it, and take the other half home with us.  SInce it was ordered by weight, I didn't have to pay close attention to the portion while I was yakking away.

Well as I was yakking away, all of a sudden, I was completely full.  As in overstuffed, thought I'd be sick.  It didn't creep up on me - it just happened.  I took a little sip of water, thinking I'd taken too big of a bite, and something was stuck.  But Nooo!  

I excused myself, went to the ladies room, and just foamed and spit until I was sure I was OK to go back out. By then my leftovers were boxed up. My friend said something like, "you didn't have very much,"  And I said that it was 4 oz, and I had about half of it-- but they must have given me extra because it seemed like there was a lot more than two ounces left.  

Then, dopey husband pipes up and says, "Oh, I forgot to tell you, I got a half pound."  So, instead of 2 ounces, I had eaten almost 4 ounces.  I am eight weeks out.  If I didn't have the cast iron sleeve, I'm sure I would have been much sicker!

So, when we got in the car, I had a little chat with him.  I'm positive he will never do that again!  And I'm positive that I will always just move my food around on the plate so I can "see" how much I will eat BEFORE I get started and put that in a little pile!

I've made lamb and other stuff for dinner tonight, but just the thought of it makes me queasy!  It's yogurt for me for the next couple of meals!

Moral of this story -- if you want to check your restriction or find out what the foamies are, have my husband order your dinner!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

novascotiadawn
on 1/12/13 7:55 am, edited 1/12/13 7:55 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I can see why you got the slimeys....That early out and with water!!!! I'd  been pukin!!..LOL...I hope he understands now!

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/13 7:57 am

I am sure that after your chat, he will never again make the same mistake!  I am so sorry this happened to you and I am sure your husband feels terrible about it.  I never trust anyone else to plate my food.  I am the only one that really understands what I need and why I need it.  I am the only one the knows the consequences if I overeat.  I learned early, that as much as others want to help, we are the only ones in charge of what we eat.  This is an unfortunate but very powerful lesson.  Sorry.

MuttLover
on 1/12/13 8:04 am
VSG on 11/14/12

I know!  But we'd been to this restaurant many, many times.  You go up to the counter and order your food -- either a sandwich, by the pound, or as a "combo".  It's a very casual kind of place.  It never occurred to me that hubby wouldn't order exactly what I asked for -- since it was a little crowded, I sat down to hold a table for us all.

But yep, very unfortunate, but very powerful.  And now I know exactly what the foamies are (I'm looking for an upside here! LOL!). 

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/13 1:24 pm

I probably would have done the exact same thing that you did in the same situation.  I guess what I mean is that I really "look" at my food now and mentally measure it.  That came to me through having similar (well, not exactly similar, but close) situations.  I hate getting the foamies, so I just had to learn.  Now, you know you don't much like the foamies either.  :)

Auveca
on 1/12/13 8:11 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/27/12
So sorry, smack him for me!

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/13 8:30 am

I am so sorry you had to find out so early out. Must have been a little scary, too. I, too, don't have creep up fullness. I am fine and then one bite too many and wham! over full. That is why I measure everything I eat when I am at home and when I am out I really under eat my sleeve.

I no longer allow anyone to help me with my food.  I'm really the only one who knows and understands just how much I can eat. My partner was so sweet and brought me a plate once when we were at a dinner party. He was so aware of my small portion size he brought me barely enough food for an anorexic mouse! It was hysterical. I looked at it and smiled and his response was to ask, "Too much?" LOL. He had put maybe a half ounce of steak, one olive and an asparagus spear on my plate.

Hope you feel better soon! I think easing off for the next meal or two is a grand idea!

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/13 10:33 am
That made me lol!
I feel sure he will order exactly what you ask for next time!
Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/12/13 12:50 pm

I am guilty of the not noticing as well...I think for me the hardest part of this is to pay attention to every bit and eat and chew and chew and chew.  In fact, I went by the example that three oz is about the size of a deck of cards, but after listening to the seasoned people on here...I ordered a scale and am going to start weighing everything.  I know I am probably worrying unnecessarily about stretching my sleeve but I have had these nightmares the last few nights of my sleeve stretching and all this work being for naught...so to the food scale I go....lol!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 141 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 415 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 436 views