Bummed at My Weight Loss at 7 Weeks Out; Doc Says I Need to Eat More (?!)

Sleeveless
on 1/16/13 4:33 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Thanks for sharing your friend's story. That's the kind of thing I was hoping to hear!

AnnieinIA
on 1/16/13 7:42 pm
I appreciate your post. I, too, lose slowly. I am 4 months out but I looked back and at your stage I had lost only 2 lbs more than you. I eat between 450-520 cal, 60-70 protein and 10-22 carbs.

I have always lost slowly (but unlike you, I don't gain slowly). I have thought of upping my protein, which would up my calories but have been afraid to try it and not sure how to get it in anyway. All I eat is protein and I have no more room in my tummy. I need to figure something out and try it for a week.

Your post was really helpful to me. Thanks a heap.

Annie
Sleeveless
on 1/17/13 3:31 am - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

You bet, Annie! I know what you mean, it seems like there's not enough time in the day or room in my belly to add more protein. So the goal for both of us is to amp up our protein somehow and see what happens. Keep me posted, won't you? :-)

mary d
on 1/16/13 8:12 pm

I think that is fabulous weight loss.

You are hungry because your body thinks you are starving. 

I agree with your doc to up your calories with solid protein.  If you like tuna, make some tuna salad with some real mayo.  At this stage you probably want things that go down easy so stay away from meat or fish that is not really moist.  Everything is gonna be just fine.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

Sleeveless
on 1/17/13 3:33 am - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Thank you, Mary. I have to admit, it did feel good to eat a little more yesterday. I'm a vegetarian, so I added a veggie sausage and a string cheese to my meals. :-)

AnnieinIA
on 1/17/13 4:13 am
I have several different comments to respond to. Yes, I think you and I should both make a commitment (and stick to it) to increase protein. I want to be able to clearly track the impact of more protein (and calories) on my weight loss, so won't start till Wed, because I weigh on Tuesdays. I am very curious about it.

My granddaughter's name is really Savannah, but many call her SAVVY.

I smiled when I read you are a veggie. I was vegan before surgery and hope to be vegan, or at least veggie again when I reach goal and figure out maintenance. It was a hard decision to make that i would eat meat during weight loss phase. It's a different road after surgery, that's for sure.

Annie
AdeanaMarie
on 1/16/13 9:51 pm, edited 1/16/13 9:51 pm - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

Listen to your doctor and nutritionist.  I have consistently lost and my calories range from 1000 to 1200 a day (over 9 months post op), sometimes more.  I am a higher calorie girl, I like knowing I am getting all I need nutritionally and I just cannot do that with the low 600 (600 at two months out was where I was at that point though), but I know many who do great at this calorie range months out.  I try and keep my protein at least 80, but sometimes it is 90-100 grams a day.  Yes, increasing calories and protein can help you lose more steadily.  Remember all calories are not equal either.  Carb calories (empty calories without nutritional value) should be kept at a minimum as well.  I never count carbs, but sounds like you do, so you should be good with those.

Your doctor knows what works for people.  You can always tweak your plan if it does not seem to work for you.  Nothing is set in stone.  The sleeve allows you to do that, to start fresh if you feel out of control.  Do not fear, you can do this!

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Sleeveless
on 1/17/13 3:34 am - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Thanks, AdeanaMarie. That's really great encouragement!

marydan
on 1/16/13 10:02 pm - NY

Just curious, but are you exercising at all? You don't mention that, so I wondered. I'm only 3 weeks post-op and it is hard not feeling like this weight should be sliding off like water. I too would follow the Dr's orders.

Sleeveless
on 1/17/13 3:36 am - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

MaryDan, yes, I should have mentioned that I have gone back to the gym and am doing cardio, not as often as I would like, but I'm working doing it more.

I haven't felt well enough in my abs to restart the weight training, but will do that next week. We'll see if exercising more regularly helps!

Good luck to you! It only gets better from three weeks on out!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 71 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 265 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views