Really hungry

Pollyanna16
on 1/21/13 6:05 am
VSG on 12/28/12

I'm 3 weeks post op, and so far so good. I have been eating 2 oz for my meals with no problems. The last few days, after I eat my 2 oz meal I'm hungry in 10 minute. I've seen this issue several times on this board. I tried drinking water, I tried PPIs. I hate feeling like my stomach is eating itself ALL day long. This is not head hunger, this is the real thing.I'm trying to stay about 500 cal a day, 70 G protein, and 30 carbs Any advise?

Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/21/13 6:07 am

I had this problem with I was where you are.  Now I am a few more weeks along and able to eat dense protein and that has really helped.  I wish I had an answer for you..but some of the more seasoned folks probably will.

Pollyanna16
on 1/21/13 6:24 am
VSG on 12/28/12

thank you for replying, i get to move to soft foods on friday

magavik70
on 1/21/13 8:57 am

I feel like I'm on the same path as you.  I'm on my last day of week one and I can honestly say I've been hungry.  It's been difficult to drink all my protein water and any else on top of that.  People complain about foamies if they overdo it, but this morning the first couple of sips of isopure (diluted) created foamies.  I can't physically drink enough and am so hungry all the time.  Tomorrow I move on to denser liquids and I'm looking forward to my protein drinks.  IF I'm able to drink them that should help with the hunger as they helped during my preop diet.  I don't know how much I'll physically be able to drink though and that worries me a bit.  I agree though, just give it time...  I was told the preop diet was the worst but this is much worse for me.  I keep thinking that I can deal with the hunger if I know it will eventually pass.  I have to believe that by week 4 I'll be feeling MUCH better.

Alisongar
on 1/21/13 7:08 am - MO
VSG on 12/10/12

I am ALWAYS hungry no matter if I eat protein or not. It's terrible. I don't know what to do and even the nurse couldn't help me. It's a terrible feeling. I am not losing as much weight as I should either because I feel like I am grazing all day. If you find out what the problem is, please let me know!

ruggie
on 1/21/13 7:32 am - Sacramento, CA

It'll get a lot better when you're on 'real' foods.  Just hang in there, and remind yourself this is temporary.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/13 8:36 am

Hmm..well you are really early out.  I am curious about the 2 oz. restriction if you are only on liquids.  

The smallest protein drink I know of is at least 8 oz. of fluid mixed with a scoop of protein.  My usual go to is 8 oz. of instant espresso, cooled.  You can do decaf.  I stir in a scoop of Optimum Nutrition chocolate, 8 oz. of almond milk, and then add ice to get it good an cold.  So that is at least 16 ounces and only 165 calories w/25 grams of protein.  3 like that would give you 25 grams of protein, 495 calories and only 15 grams of carbs.  If the volume is too much you could experiment with making a half serving at a time.

There are of course other options.  For me this is good because it is very liquid and tastes like an iced mocha.  You may well still have hunger.  Some people do.  But non-stop all day sounds like maybe you aren't getting enough food.

cyndi_jk
on 1/21/13 9:18 am - hi hat , KY
VSG on 11/30/12

wow I find myself lucky I am 6 weeks plus and have not had any hunger but I am on PPI's hope you find something to help you

praying

cindy

hollirrose
on 1/21/13 9:51 am
VSG on 04/21/12
Just hang in there. I was also hungry until I got to dense protein. I thought my sleeve was not right. I would read these posts about people getting full on two bites of jello. That was never me. A meal 9 months out is 2 oz of chicken, turkey, steak, fish, shrimp... And that is it. I stay satisfied on 2 oz for about 4 hours. Hang in there and you will feel the restriction once on real food.
springrobin
on 1/21/13 10:04 pm

I saw my doc yesterday. I'm 6 weeks out. Up until yesterday I was only allowed: 11 a.m. = one protein shake;  3 p.m. = one protein shake; 6 or 7 p.m. = one protein, which was Unjury chicken soup. Twice a week I was allowed 2 to 4 ounces of Greek Yogurt, cottage cheese, tuna, or egg. I did cheat a little and would have a piece of toast maybe 3 times a week.

I was SO hungry, but I made it. I lost 3 lbs a week, which is what he expected of me. And that was without exercise. I need an operation on my knee.

He told me to exercise when I first start to feel hungry - if cir****tances allow it. He said that will help or take care of your hunger pangs and maybe get your mind off food. He also told me to keep busy.

Starting today I get to have 2 ounces of "real" protein food.

I do love how I feel and look.

Good luck with your efforts.

5'6" (almost)

HW: 235

SW: 209

CW: 183

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views