Weight Loss

sappire33
on 1/24/13 11:23 am

I had vsg  on 1/15, I haven't lost any weight since coming home, is this normal?

Calking
on 1/24/13 4:29 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

I have been on this forum for a long time now ... it seems like a long time anyway.  From what I have learned there really is no such thing as "normal".  

I have seen some people come on and say that they gained weight in the hospital and then a week out lost all that they gained in the hospital.  Perhaps this is close to what is happening with you.

The person that can best answer the "normal" would be your surgeon or nutritionist.  They know you and they have a history with their patients.  Perhaps this surgeon would tell you that 60% of his/her patients one week out weigh the same as they did pre op.  Perhaps that number is higher and maybe it isn't.  The point is that if I was a surgeon and had a lot of patients of mine ask this question one week out then I would know that this is something that does occur  __% of the time.  Then I could reassure any of my patients that this falls within what would be considered "normal".  

I am sure that you could get many answers to this question but the best answer will likely come from your surgeon.  Besides that if it isn't "normal" he/she may want to see you to figure out what might be happening.  Please when you make that call have info available such as what you drank and ate each day since returning home.  These numbers may help the surgeon make an informed opinion or decision on what you should be doing differently if indeed he/she doesn't think that it is "normal".

I know you likely aren't too happy with my response as I didn't come right out and give an answer that would comfort or concern you. Just relax and contact your surgeon and things will work out the way they should.  With this surgery a person above all else will learn to practice patience.

Good Luck.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

sappire33
on 2/8/13 2:35 am

Sorry I'm late responding but I'm just seeing your reply. I did notify my surgeon of my concerns and was told it will take time and everyone is different as you stated, I'm happy to say since my original post I've lost 18 lbs post-op!! angry

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views