Expensive or Cheap Vitamins....Does it really make a difference?

Swiftkick00
on 1/27/13 9:22 am

Just wondering you guys thoughts or what vitamins to take post-op... My nutritionist says Bariatric Advantage or Nurtrimex....I talked with some sleevers who said they used walmart and or gnc vitamins......I'm on a budget but won't substitute quality for cost but really curious what vitamins you guys take?

Thanks

Bethany1988
on 1/27/13 9:37 am - MI
VSG on 02/18/13

My NUT said don't bother with expensive vitamins, you're going to need so many, it isn't worth it! She suggested Meijer or Wal-Mart because they always run specials. She also suggested Amazon.com. 

I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles. –Christopher Reeves

HilaryH8103
on 1/27/13 9:39 am - WA
That's what I thought.. Perfect..

Thank you
(deactivated member)
on 9/19/14 10:46 pm
HilaryH8103
on 1/27/13 9:38 am - WA
Excellent Question... I have no idea but I'd really like to know. I'm pre-op, awaiting my VSG & was literally just looking up the cost of vitamins & was shocked to see how pricey some of them are. If I had to guess I'd say that it doesn't matter if you buy the cheaper vitamins as long as they're packed with all of the same ingredients. You could always compare the labels on line..
Great question & I hope the people that do know the answer to this respond sometime soon.

Good Luck to you,

Hilary
Calking
on 1/27/13 11:11 am
VSG on 05/31/12

Some time ago when a question of vitamins came up Elina had mentioned that she uses Trader Joe's High Potency Chewable Vitamins.  Since reading that post this is the choice I have made.  I believe it is about $8 for 90 qty.  I take 2 per day so that is a 45 day supply for just $8.  When looking at those numbers you are looking at about 18 cents per day.  Not sure you can do much better than that for the quality.  By the way I truly believe that these are quality vitamins.  Even if you decided to take 3 per day then you are still looking at a one month supply with a cost of 27 cents per day.  

I have never been too sure of how much of each vitamin I should be getting so I have come up with the idea that two of these should be enough to get in a daily quantity.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Lisa S.
on 1/27/13 11:14 am - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
Check out vitacost and puritan pride. They are super cheap. Post-op, the wal-mart women's one-a-day multi made me so sick. 6 months out and I STILL can not tolerate them. I do fine on everything else.

AppyGrl
on 1/27/13 12:21 pm
VSG on 01/23/13

I would say that until you are on solid food stick to what your NUT says. I am using a bariatric formula chewable vit (celebrate) and it seems more dissolvable than the other chewable. so maybe just the first month or so. 

AppyGrl
on 1/27/13 12:40 pm
VSG on 01/23/13

In response to what I just posted... you may want to ask your NUT for a few samples so you can taste the difference in texture between the two. I shopped around and ordered mine on Amazon too. 

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/27/13 12:52 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

So we get told what kinds are recommended... And I have one heck of a "to do" list for vitamins (I'm in Ontario, Canada) through my clinic.

I did the math on the lowest "cost" vs Bariatric Advantage... It  is the "outlay" that is the shocker.

Bariatric advantage is 44.95 for the multi-vitamin with 180 pills so a 90 day supply for me... It works out to 14.98/month

Chewable Iron is 46.95 for 180 pills so a 180 day supply for me... It works out to 7.83/month (and the least offensive tasting iron I have ever taken... I actually LIKE this one)

The calcium citrate lozenges are 49.95 for 270 pills so again a 90 day supply for me... It works out to 16.65/month

B12 I am going to do injections and it will cost me around 12$ for 10 months worth.

Now let's talk the cheaper options I was given.

Centrum Select 50+ chewables... 10-12$/month

Wellesse liquid calcium - 1 bottle = 10 days at 3 x a day so at 10-12$ on average for me it is 30-36$ a month.

Iron... No point in even looking to another brand.

At the end of the day we are all going to do what suits our lifestyle best but I am going to say... I laid out the money for the calcium, and the iron... And even a pack of chewy bites... and now I am putting 20$ away every 2 weeks... Until it is time to buy more.

It will offset the cost of the next purchase for me.

Oh and I got the caramel chewy bites as my "alternate" because 3 wild cherry a day is a bit much... I am thinking of picking up a bag of raspberry and lemon ones each also. I got to try a sample so I know I like those 3 flavours.

Do your cost per month for whatever you choose and see if you can get samples. I am seriously looking at the celebrate powdered one I can pour into a shake too... *eyebrow wiggle*

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 244 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 312 views