Insulin Shots / Slowed Weight Loss

seejo
on 1/31/13 10:26 pm - AR
VSG on 12/20/12

I weighed this morning and I've lost a total of 35.6 pounds since my first weigh in and 30 since surgery.  I know this is good, but it's also frustrating as I believe I should be losing more weight.  My doctor took me off of my insulin shots when I left the hospital.  Within two weeks my sugars shot up to over 460 consistently.  Since I started back on my insulin shots the weight loss has come to a halt.  2 pounds over the past two weeks is slow in my opinion considering how little I've been eating.  I've got to exercise more.  Calories are between 600 - 800 a day.  Feeling discouraged...... I have this fear that this is it....

Keith L.
on 1/31/13 10:55 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I am reading the Blood Sugar Solution by Dr. Mark Hyman and he has stated several times in what I have read so far that insulin therapy causes weight gain. That you should get off insulin as soon as possible.

Don't be discouraged but try to get off Insulin as quickly as possible. You may also want to read that book it has some very specific things you should do. Your diet if you are sticking to the plan should get you down there pretty quick. My sugar went from 144 to 87 within 2 weeks of surgery.

Can you go to a lower dose of insulin? Dr. Hyman suggests that if you have to have it to take the lowest dose you possibly can until you can get off of it entirely.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Miss150
on 1/31/13 11:03 pm

Oh, no, I'm sure this is "not it" for you.  We are just beginning a wonderful journey.  (I had about the same surgery time as you- 12/12/12)  You know how important it is to keep your blood sugar regulated. Continue to work closely with your  doctor in this.  It took  me about a year (loosing the weight conventionally and about 100 lbs) before my body woke up and I came totally off the diabetes meds.  Have faith that you are working your program, and give your body time to heal.  I know you can do this.  Let your body do it.  Celebrate your WLS, current weight loss and FUTURE CONTINUED SUCCESS!

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Rita M.
on 1/31/13 11:39 pm - Webster, MA

Hi Seejo,

I just posted myself about my type 2 diabetes issues. I have not taken insulin but have been on Metformin for a while until after surgery. Now I don't take any meds and my blood sugars are all over the place from 85-141 this morning. I am confused myself but will not give up hope that it will eventually regulate itself when my body is ready to do so.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Good luck.

Hugs,

Rita

mickeymantle
on 2/1/13 12:31 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

most diabites meds will make you star gaining weight some are better than others talk to your doctor, Byetta will help you lose weight

Stay away from Actos I gained 100 lbs taking that and it didn't help my sugar much

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views