Can we take ibuprofen?

Susan C.
on 2/1/13 10:17 am

I recall we shouldn't take some type of meds but I don't take any so can't recall.  I have terrible back pain due to a nerve and need pain reliever.  Want to make sure I can take ibuprofen before taking it.  Thanks for the info.

Lovemy3d
on 2/1/13 10:37 am

Yes we can but make sure something is on ur tummy, food

AppyGrl
on 2/1/13 10:52 am
VSG on 01/23/13

My Doctor said no NSAIDS because they cause gastro irritation. They said that if we are in a jam and thats all there is and it is not frequent you can slip a few but otherwise no.

jarabacoagirl
on 2/1/13 11:40 am
VSG on 12/17/12

Some doctors say it's okay other disagree.  My doctor says no.  But can I recommend Tiger balm?  I have been using it for my Fibromyalgia for my forehead for headaches, my neck and back.  It's just gets rubbed into the skin.  It's all natural Chinese remedy kind of like the idea of IcyHot but I think it's better and works better.  I don't know what I'd do without it since I'm not having Nsaids and always in pain.

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

Susan C.
on 2/1/13 12:15 pm

Thanks!!  I'll try Tiger balm.

novascotiadawn
on 2/1/13 11:46 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm not your normal vsg'er! I intake all and hasn't bothered me! I'm your test bunny!

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

KathyA999
on 2/1/13 12:03 pm

As I understand it -

Once we've fully healed, we are at equal risk from NSAIDS as normies.  NSAIDS tend to reduce a something-or-other in the stomach (lining?) that prevents ulcers, thus creating a greater risk of ulcer.  This is true whether the NSAID is taken with food, as a skin patch, or any other way.  It's a systemic thing.  (For this reason, RNYers should NEVER take NSAIDS because if the ulcer develops in the remnant stomach, it is not available for oral diagnosis or treatment, and they are in greater danger of internal bleeding.)

Most people take NSAIDS lifelong with no problems, some develop a problem.  It's a crapshoot.  Personally, I take ibuprofen every so often, but prefer to use acetomenophen.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

tonnabug
on 2/2/13 12:06 am - Huntsville, AL
Revision on 04/29/13

I have a stupid band.... no sleeve "yet", but with the band NSAIDs are a BIG no, no.  However, I have spinal stenosis and a bulging lumbar disk.  So, NASIDs are a necessary evil.  I just had to weigh the risk vs benefit.  After talking with my MD, we decided to compromise on Children's Liquid Advil.  That way it goes on through and the "pills" don't get stuck or dissolve in the little stomach.  

Maybe that's an option??  I will certainly have to continue to use NSAIDs after revision!!

Tonya

Began journey in 2007 at 312, had Lap band 2008, lost 40 pre-op then 24 post op, regained to 319.  Lost 39# on my own, then revised to VSG 4/29/13 @ 280.

Most Active