What is this pain?

maga63
on 2/1/13 9:19 pm

So I'm almost 3 weeks post op sleeve, believed I was recovering normally first 2 weeks when this pain started on the right upper abdomen, a few inches above my largest incision.  No other pain or discomfort anywhere else, it doesn't hurt if I don't move....no other complaints, no nausea/vomiting/diarrhea/fever.....nothing. Had progressed to pureed diet according to schedule without problems. Called the surgeon and explained this at the beginning of the week and they feel that since no other symptoms are present, it's all r/t incision and pain radiating upward, suggested Ibuprofen around the clock (child dose), rest and monitoring. 3 days later still no changes I called again, concerned about gallbladder or incisional hernia,and they still feel that it's only normal healing process....This is my first surgery and I have nothing to compare it to, but it just doesn't feel "normal"!

It is so frustrating not being able to do anything and I'm supposed to be back at work on Monday.....Has anybody else experienced this? Any feedback?

Thanks!

MomofMarch
on 2/1/13 9:40 pm - GA

When I started having gallbladder attacks, it was pain in my right upper abdomen. (Right upper quadrant) I didn't have a fever or nausea, but it was really painful after I ate.

You know your body. I'd push the issue if the pain is continuing.

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

Shizzle
on 2/1/13 11:00 pm
VSG on 01/08/13 with

Same thing happened to me this week , surgery on 1/8. Great Recovery and no complications. Then bam out of nowhere pain near largest Incision increased, two days of applying heat and very little movement helped. Talked to my surgeon and he thinks an internal stitch popped and blood has pooled around the area causing the pain. If you are still having severe pain please check with your doctor. Good Luck and hope you are feeling better soon.

cindysteffinich
on 2/2/13 2:44 am

I am 4 days post op and have the pain in the right upper quad of abdomen.  I still can't stand up straight.  I'm sorry for everyone who has this pain but it gives me comfort that it might be normal.  I have already had my gallbladder removed so I know that is not my problem but I am concerned about my liver being bruised or something. 

Did you ask you doctor if he thinks it could be your gallbladder?  Ask him directly.  When I had gallbladder pain it was in the pit of my stomach and went through to my back like a dull knife going through to my back and was nausiated.  My daughter had the same pain.  Good luck.

Your Sister in Christ,

Cindy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views