How much can YOU eat? A sad realization.

cutesychu
on 2/3/13 8:36 am

Hello all. I finally kicked the 170's this week and am now at 165. I have 15 more pounds until I hit goal, well....what I think is goal, anyway! I have a quick question. I always measure my foods. I don't have a food scale, but I always convert my grams to ounces to ensure I'm eating the amount I should be. Anyway...my doctor beat it into my head in the very beginning that I should be eating no more than 2-3 ounces of food at a time. My question for you guys is...did that amount change for you? I have noticed that after I eat my 2.5-3 ounces of protein that I get hungry sooner than what I usually do. I never overeat, and I always make sure I'm eating less than 3 ounces, but I worry about this hunger. I enjoy eating the small amounts of food obviously, it's why I got this surgery!

I will admit that it varies with the type of food I eat. If I eat strict protein, like a boiled egg or lean steak, I eat less and feel fulfilled; however, if I incorporate veggies or fruit, even just a bite, I notice I'm hungry within the next 2-3 hours. Do I need to be eating JUST protein? My doc said he wants me to get in my veggies, basically he wants me to get a well-rounded diet. I feel conflicted. also, what is the normal calories for someone that's 6 months post-op? I usually get in about 600-700. Too much?

Thank you for any advice/tips. I always appreciate all the help I get from the people on this site!!

Ash

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/13 10:28 am

I am not going to advise you to go against your doctor's plan. Here is how I eat, just for your info:

I eat a meal that centers on my protein choice. I weigh out 3 oz of protein. Once I eat that protein I eat some veggies. Usually about 1/4 of a cup. Sometimes, just sometimes, I will have a TBS or two of a starch - BUT I'm in maintenance. During weight loss I did not do the additional starch.

Anyhow, I've been eating this way since I was about 5 or 6 months out.

I think your calorie range is great for being 6 months post op. Just keep it there until you make goal. I'd really look at your protein level and make sure you're at 80+ grams per day.

Most Active