what are good nuts and fruit to eat

kayakwilly
on 2/4/13 6:35 am

if someone could point me in right directon    canwe have dried fruit  if so what kind  and nuts or trail mix ok any imput would help thanks    willy b

LIFE IS GOOD, BUT THE VSG IS BETTER angry

mary d
on 2/4/13 6:45 am

I don't do dried fruit.  Check the calories, carbs and sugar... very high.  Almonds and berries are my favorites right now.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

bird-E-bird
on 2/4/13 6:49 am - TX

Depends on what stage you are on Post op. I was instructed to not eat nuts including peanut butter because they are too high in calories, fat, etc. PB is a slider food and just way too high in everything for only 2 tbsp serving. (again, that was my instructions from my surgeon/NUT). If you are going to have fruit make it natural fruit not dried. Depending on how its processed there can be a lot of additives, sugar especially, and you don't get the full nutritional benefit of the fruit dried out. Dried fruit can be like a slider food. I'm sure responses will vary but when in doubt always consult your surgeon or NUT to be sure.

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/13 6:53 am

Dried fruit is pretty much candy, so ummm, never, except as a garnish in maintenance.  Nuts are more complicated, there are different plans and different opinions.  Based on my plan, I would not eat them until maintenance, again, except as condiments or in PB2.  Fruit is another whole issue with very different opinions.  Once again, besides berries, I would not eat it until maintenance. 

kayakwilly
on 2/4/13 8:42 am

very good point im not in maintanace yet  im almost 4mths post op i have a few snacks here and there pretzels or corn chips   but less then the serving size   been craving salt lol..i tried apples and almost got sick   but apple sauce is diff that i can tolerate .i need some diff thing  starting to get bore  and dont wabt t go in the wrng  direction .

LIFE IS GOOD, BUT THE VSG IS BETTER angry

Jenb2401
on 2/4/13 10:18 am
VSG on 12/18/12

It's not a nut, but you could try dry roasted edamame (seapoint farms)...it's crunchy like a nut and in 1/4 cp you get 14g of protein.   I found them at Target in the nut section.  I asked my drs office is that was ok and they said yes, but make sure I crunch it down really well by chewing.  

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/4/13 11:49 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I eat small amounts of nuts a couple of times a week - planned into my days and within my calorie limit. Dried fruit - no way. Besides the fact that they pack a calorie wallop, they're close to impossible to chew down to the apple sauce consistency I was told to aim for and they need to hydrate at some point. (whi*****ludes expanding) Not a good choice for a wee tummy.

I do eat other fruit, however. I eat sliced apples, oranges, bananas, pears, berries, grapes, and some pommelo the other day. All in small portions, very well chewed and factored into my plan for the day.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views