Diabetes and VSG

Sistaital
on 2/8/13 2:02 am
Greetings,

Has anyone had the sleeve who has diabetes? I wanted the sleeve before i saw my doctor, then was told gastric bypass was more successful for diabetes so i am considering that, but want to know others experience with diabetes and VSG.

My BMI is 37, i also have high blood pressure, high cholestrol and sleep apnea.
Christine Heusinger
on 2/8/13 2:22 am - GA

I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 10 years ago and have been on Glucophage since then. My sleeve was on 12/6/12 and I have NOT taken my meds since 12/1/12.

My numbers are completely NORMAL now! I can't wait for my next A1C test!

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

Miss150
on 2/8/13 2:46 am

Hi! Diagnosed Type II about 8 years ago. On Metformin and Glipizide all that time with the dosages increasing periodically. Sometimes I controlled well, sometimes not so much. From July, 2011-July, 2012 I lost approx. 110 lbs and began the process towards WLS. By my pre-surgery diet, I was off the glipizide and had cut the metformin down quite a bit. I stopped taking the metformin completely when I started the presurgery diet. I test in the morning, and my readings vary between 80 and 90 pretty consistently. I have noticed that when I exercise, my sugar levels rise. I've been told that it is because my liver is dumping glycogen into my system for fuel, which is not a bad thing (my body is burning fat, in other words). This can also happen at night when I'm sleeping if I stopped eating early in the evening and do not have a small bedtime snack for my body to use. . I did a lot to damage my system to become diabetic, and (thank God) time and following the program (water, protein, exercise, and leaving the simple carbs alone) has done a lot to improve my condition. I still consider myself diabetic, but tightly controlled.  I see WLS as a way to continue to be a controlled diabetic.  My A1C is 5.1

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Keith L.
on 2/8/13 2:47 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I did not have diabetes by my blood sugar 2 weeks before surgery was 144 and 2 weeks after was 97. When I checked it last weekend 65. So it does help bring it down. It depends on what type of diabetes you have. Assuming you have the kind that can be controlled with diet but you are taking insulin then you should seriously consider it and get off the insulin ASAP.

In the meantime you should consider reading Mark Hyman The Blood Sugar Solution. Its a good book and you may find it very helpful.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

mimij
on 2/8/13 2:55 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I was diagnosed type 2 DM 6 months prior to sleeve. I was on Metformin and then switched to Janumet  to gain better control on fasting glucose 2 months before surgery. I stopped taking Janumet the day before surgery. My blood sugars were still peaking in the 160s postprandial for about a month after surgery. Eventually they went down and my glucose is approx 100 postprandial and 80-90 fasting. I have not had an A1C drawn since surgery but plan to. I discussed my prognosis for long term remission of diabetes with the surgeon and she said time will tell. Some people have remission initially and later get a bounce back and have to go back on oral meds. Some people stay in remission. She said since my diagnosis was 6 months prior to surgery, it is unlikely I burned out my pancreas and she is hopeful that if I control my weight I will not have recurrence of elevated blood sugars. She said I always need to consider myself a diabetic, in remission.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/8/13 3:07 am
VSG on 10/09/12
My story almost exactly!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/8/13 3:07 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Exactly what Mimi said. I was Dx'ed a year befor surgery and was on 1000 mg of glucophage (metformin) a day. Spiked to in the 300s when I woke up from surgery and got insulin the one and hope only time in my life! Then things leveled out and as of three days post op my numbers have been normal. My three months labs showed an A1C of 5.1 and fasting 77. when I do random testing it is never over 100 post prandial and in the 70s fasting. It is not a cure but 20 or so years of remission will be just fine by me!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Jackie T.
on 2/8/13 3:25 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I was borderline diabetic type 2.  My A1C readings were up in the mid to high 6's and now the low 5's.

I was able to have my cpap turned down one yesterday when I saw the doctor and we are going to start looking at trying to phase me off of it but I am sure it will be a slow go.  I only had 1 instance of not breathing this time.  Hoping as I continue to lose weight that it will get better.

I had high cholesteral and went off that just before surgery and my readings are now normal.

I did have to go back on my high blood pressure medicine two weeks after surgery but it was not under control before the surgery and now it is.  We are going to keep monitoring and the doc thinks I should be off in the next three months.

Good luck in what you decide!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Sistaital
on 2/8/13 3:26 am
Thank you all Since i have been Type Ii for twenty years (juvenile onset) the doctors told me i may still require some medicine but not much.

Thanks again for the responses!
Krys730
on 2/8/13 5:53 am - CT
VSG on 04/30/13

I have not had surgery yet, i'm still in the pre-testing process but, I have Type I diabetes. I'm on an insulin pump and have a continuous glucose monitor.  My surgeon told me not to do the banding because of my BMI, but said that my diabetes will get better with VSG or bypass.

I spoke to my endocrinologist and she said my insulin intake will go down dramatically with weight loss. She does not want me to do the full bypass, she prefers VSG or banding.

which ever surgery you choose, if you're type I it will never go away. But I'm sure either option will give you optimal blood sugar control, good luck to you!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views