A question about non-chewable vitamins

SeaGirl
on 2/12/13 12:43 pm
VSG on 02/01/13

I have tried 3 kids of chewable vitamins - Opurity, Centrum Silver and Flinstones.  All gross me out and I can't get the flavor out of my mouth!!  Tonight I bought regular Centrum Silver (I am under 40 but the silvers are more complete) and a pill cutter.  What is the risk of cutting the vitamin in 4 and taking it with water, as opposed to doing a chewable?  Thanks for your help!

vogue
on 2/12/13 1:15 pm
VSG on 08/30/12
Robber
on 2/12/13 1:23 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 02/12/13
I'm only a few hours in, but they've already had me swallow a regular sized capsule and a small tablet and I've had no problem with them so what you propose is probably feasible, but you're generally only on the chewables for a couple weeks so you might want to just tough it out with the chewables just to be safe.
Kelly-AnneH
on 2/12/13 1:24 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Cutting it up sounds totally reasonable. I grew to truly hate chewables, so at 3 months out I chucked them and switched to a prenatal gelcap. SO much better!

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/13 1:57 pm

My advice is to check with your surgeon's team first. I was allowed to take all pills after two weeks - except calcium. I had to wait a little more for those.

Have you tried Trader Joe's chewable multi vitamin? It is one of the less offensive ones I tried. I used it for the first month and then switched to "swallow" pills as soon as I was done with those.

Mom2Noah
on 2/12/13 3:09 pm - Bakersfield, CA
VSG on 07/05/12
Check with your surgeon. I was told nothing bigger than a tic tac but i had issues with swallowing pills first cpl weeks had to crush them and that was nasty. Good luck hope you get answers.

SeaGirl
on 2/12/13 3:19 pm
VSG on 02/01/13

Thanks so much for all the ideas guys!  I will call my surgeon tomorrow.  If they say I have to stick with chewables for a while (I am only 11 days post op), I will try Trader Joe's.  Thanks again!

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/13 10:23 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

Once you get past 6 months you will be able to swallow your vitamins again.  I couldn't stand the chewable ones either so I ended up taking gummy vitamins, not the best but it was better than nothing.  Now I swallow all my pills. 

themexcellentone
on 2/14/13 1:16 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Not sure what the TJ's vitamins stats are, but I take Target brand adult chewable gummy vitamins and they're pretty good!

Cuter_w_Curves
on 2/14/13 11:21 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I am allergic to any chewable ones containing corn starch... not allowed gummies and only got clearance for normal ones at 1 month out. Had to fight with the dieticians to find out what kinds I am allowed and remind them I am not a RNYer.

I totally get it on taste but I am going to say this... If they tell you that you have to... choke it down. It won't kill you. Promise.

For me... It was going to. Hives, swelling, etc. across my throat and I still did calcium 3 times a day, and chewable multi-vitamin 2 times a day for a month.

Check with your surgeon...

Did you know Celebrate has a powder one you can pour into a drink and it has 1 dose of calcium also? Just asking.

Oh and you can order a sample pack for 3$ from them that will let you try theirs.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Most Active