Ins. Denial ....going2 Mexico

nvr2l82strt
on 2/15/13 4:10 pm - puyallup, WA

Hello all....my insurance denied me my vsg after putting me through the 6 mo supervised diet....they said I was mis informed by another insurance rep and that any wls is an exclusion in my plan. Now I am traveling to Mexicali mex. to Dr. Aceves. Any reviews on him....advice on what to expect 

becks856
on 2/15/13 5:05 pm

You can get more info at mysurgeryoptions.com and verticalsleevetalk.com.  Go to Mexico and Self Pay Forum.  They is a ton of info.  He is rated as one of the best. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/13 8:53 pm - Worcester, MA
VSG on 02/25/13

I am sorry about that. Its terrible when insurance ppl can't get it right. I wish you the best of luck!

dec721
on 2/15/13 10:52 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with

You cannot go wrong with Dr. Aceves.  He and my surgeon, Dr. Alvarez, are the absolute top-rung Mexican surgeons.  I've been on this board for five years, and gazillions of folks have used Dr. Aceves.  I've never read anything but the highest praise for him. You will not be sorry for choosing him!

--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

ladybuglv
on 2/16/13 3:31 am - NV

I had surgery with Dr. Aceves on 8/31/12. I had such a great experience. The staff was top-notch, the hospital was cleaner than any I've been to here in the US, and Dr Aceves and Dr Campos were so friendly and caring. My room was cleaned at least twice a day, the docs came to see me every day. I met with docs the anesthesiologist before my surgery and they took the time to answer all my questions. It wasn't just a fly-by. I've lost 70# since my surgery and am below my original goal weight.

As for what to expect, you will meet the staff the day before surgery when you arrive, have your labs & other tests done. Then you go to the hotel for the night. Next morning you go to the hospital where you will be for the next three days. I had no pain whatsoever. I felt like I had done 1000 sit-ups though. Surgery was Saturday, I went home Monday and was back at work the next day.

I am completely satisfied with my choice of surgeon enlightened

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/16/13 4:32 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Dr Aceves did my VSG in June and I couldn't be happier. Everything went smoothly, he and his team give excellent care and the hospital is unbelievably clean.

When are you booked for? I'm going with a friend as her support person in 2 weeks - her surgery is on March 1st.

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

LizzyM
on 2/16/13 7:28 am

Dr. Aceves is amazing! I had such a positive experience in Mexicali,everyone was fantastic,u can't go wrong! I would recommend him to anyone. I am almost 4years out and it was a piece of cake down 130 lbs! Best of luck to you!

Liz

7 lbs. lost preop included in total
mnmommaof2
on 2/16/13 8:11 am
VSG on 11/23/12

I had Aceves too.  He truly is top notch with an excellent bedside manner.  I was very well taken care of and I highly recommend his team.

As far as advice goes... the first day is overwhelming-- at least it was for me.  All day flying and a two hour drive to the border plus meeting all the medical staff and doing all the pre-op tests is a lot for one day.  You'll have the rest of the night to relax and the next day will be so much calmer.  The coordinator you meet on the first day will guide you and be available for questions the entire time.  I was really impressed with how well things are ran.   

I had trouble with cell phones while I was down there.  At the hotel I had no reception and the hospital I only had reception in the parking lot.  Bring a laptop and hook up to skype.  It only costs a couple bucks (I spent under three bucks) to be able to call cell and landlines  from Mexicali.  (Way cheaper than international calling charges!)  You'll have Wi-fi everywhere you go.

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

jubjub
on 2/16/13 8:12 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

I had VSG with Aceves in June. Fantastic experience and I can't say enough good things.  

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 249 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 316 views