Salad

seejo
on 2/16/13 2:23 pm - AR
VSG on 12/20/12

I'm 2 months out and have not tried salad yet.  How does your stomach react to salad?    So far, I've only had problems with eggs and spicy food.  Or, if I eat too fast it feels as if it gets stuck due to the pressure.  Dry meats are difficult. 

SuzyNZ
on 2/16/13 2:51 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
I ate salad from about 6 weeks out with no problems. I use "softer" leaves like iceberg, or baby cos lettuce. I find darker leafed, or thicker lettuce a bit hard, but any of the very pale green varieties are fine for me. Just make sure you are still eating the protein in your salad first, rather than filling up on all leaves.

Tonight I had baby cos leaves x 3, smeared with a bit of hummus and shaved chicken roll and made up like little wraps. Delish!

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

mary d
on 2/16/13 8:35 pm

When you do try it, chop it up with kitchen shears or cut it up with knife and fork into small pieces.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

JAlston
on 2/16/13 9:26 pm
VSG on 12/07/12

I am 10 weeks out and recently tried salad. I got a romaine bag mix, it was delish. I never craved salad so much in my life. I ate 1/4 cup. i did chop it up and ate some chicken salad on top. I didnt have any problems. I just remembered to chew well. Luckily I haven't really had any issues (I love spicy foods), I didnt like egg white salad but it tasted disgusting to me, not because I had an issue with eggs. I think most people have issues with dry meats, you are certainly not alone there. I find reheated chicken to be the worst.

Just chop it up, chew it up and eat slow and I think you will be fine. 

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

joann P.
on 2/17/13 12:05 am

I am so envious- I can eat little to nothing.  Salad sounds like heaven to me.  Nothing stays down.  I wondered if anyone else had this problem?

califsleevin
on 2/16/13 11:39 pm - CA

I was having small salads, with some leftover meat, by the end of the first month. I usually use chopped spinach instead of lettuce for its somewhat better nutritional profile and then whatever salad veg I have around - tomato, avo, scallion, pepper, etc.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

sleevegirl
on 2/16/13 11:46 pm - Austin, TX

My surgeon's plan was 5 months for raw veggies. So I waited until then.

Some folks say they can eat buckets of salad. Sigh, I'm not one of those people. No more huge salads for me. I still have really good restriction. I have no idea what size tummy I have, and don't want to know. I credit it to sticking to my plan, always undereating and never getting that uncomfortable full feeling (okay, for the most part, we all screw up) and working it every single day.

You have plenty of time. Take it slow and follow your surgeon's plan and listen to your body. It's kind of smart if you listen :)

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views