Considering the VSG need answers to questions PLEASE

annie0039
on 2/20/13 9:09 am

I was banded 4/2009 and fear that I'll need to have my band removed blush(numerous issues) So my questions are what can I expect from the VSG ? I know ALL WLS's are a TOOL I get that, I've been susccessful with the band and I don't want to gain the weight back but would like to know the GOOD , BAD, and the UGLY of having a sleeve... like if somone would take me through the first weeks, then months ,etc that would be great I've researched the procedure itself But it's better hearing the TRUTH from other's that have actually had it done

lucy2e
on 2/20/13 10:15 am - Laurel, MD

Hi Annie,

Sorry you've had problems with the band - I've seen lots of people on here that have converted from the band to the sleeve - and they have been very successful.

As to what to expect - for me I was on a 2 week pre-op liquid diet (not everyone has to do that).  After surgery I couldn't have anything for 24 hours - then I had a leak test - I had to drink a little nasty tasting contrast while they xrayed.  That  showed no leaks so then I was able to have liquids.  I was on liquids for a week or 2 - can't remember now!  Then onto mushies, and after 6 weeks I was able to have anything.  In the beginning, your stomach is very swollen - you have trouble meeting your 64 oz of liquids and protein shakes.  It gets a little easier by the 2nd week and is really easy after about a month.

The sleeve gives you a lot of control over portions - if you did well with the band, I think you will like the sleeve even better.

Good luck!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

on 2/20/13 10:16 am - NE

I had my surgery about 8 weeks ago.  The surgeon said it went great, but I had a lot of pain.  From what I hear and read on this forum, I am in the minority.  It appears most people do extremely well with very little pain.  The surgeon thinks he got a nerve caught up in a stitch.  I'm fine now, but struggled with getting around for about 3 weeks.  We don't have a recliner, so I slept on the sofa with a wedge pillow under my knees for about 3 1/2 weeks.  I also wore an abdominal brace.  I could finally sleep on my side at about 4 weeks.  Had just a little nausea from time to time.  No problems with vomiting, though.  The only thing that was really hard to deal with was the constipation.  I stopped taking extra iron and stopped getting constipated.

My weight loss was about a pound a day for the first 3 weeks, then tapered off to about 3 pounds a week.  Right now, I'm in a very frustrating stall (on the scale), but I know it will pass eventually.  I went through a period from week 4 to 7 when I was starving all the time.  Now, that seems to have subsided quite a bit.  I'm supposed to be eating 3-4 ounces per meal now, but I can only get in about 2 1/2 at a time, so I've been eating a little more frequently.  Finally this week, I've been getting over 64 ounces of water, plus any other fluids.

Food intake was like this: first 2 weeks were liquids only.  Weeks 3-6 was a blenderized diet.  Weeks 7-12 is a soft diet, where I am now. 

Can't think of anything else to tell you.  There were a handful of doubtful days, but I am sooo happy I did it!

Best of luck to you!

llLou
on 2/20/13 10:46 am - Halifax NS, Canada

I had the VSG done Nov.5th 2912 by Dr. Kelly in TJ Mexico. I had an excellent experience.

On the same day a fellow had his band removed and the VSG done. We both had great hospital experiences and recoveries. I became friends with he and his wife and we call each other frequently. We are both losing weighht at the same rate with no issues.

I had absolutely no pain after surgery. Dr. Kelly orders pain meds IV every 6 hours along with anti nausea meds. On our discharge day Dr. Kelly's coordinator took us out shopping to flea markets etc. We walked for 6 hours and then he took us to supper. we did not need any pain meds after discharge.

At home everything has gone well. no cravings. My transition from fluids to mushies to full food has been fine. I have now lost 30 pounds. I go to the gym 5 days a week and have lots of energy. The nurse here at our Bariatric center( I had a 10 year wait to get into, thus my Mexico decision) told my Dr. I should stay away from pasta, rice and bread.I find rice is hard to digest but bread and pasta I can eat. She said the sleeve doesn't digest these well.

I am so glad I made this decision and also that I chose Dr. Kelly. He is an excellent surgeon.  Good Luck!

thinnersinner
on 2/20/13 10:48 am

I'm just about two months out so everything is still fresh in my head...

Two weeks pre-op was a liquid diet which consisted of protein shakes.  The first three days are torture, but not bad after that.  The day of surgery was surreal.  I was just running on auto-pilot, I guess.  Just crazy nervous.  I woke up with very little pain and was surprised because I anticipated much more pain.  For the first few weeks I was having serious buyer's remorse and couldn't wrap my head around what I did to my body.  I had ZERO energy, was nauseous every morning for about a month, and cried everyday.

Then...it was like a switch turned on.  I started getting my energy back.  I stopped taking my zofran for nausea.  I looked into counseling and found a great counselor to talk to. 

I'm not going to lie to you...this has been the hardest thing I've ever done.  I am now able to see why I chose this surgery in the first place.  I feel so much better.  I can already do things that I haven't been able to do in years, like cross my legs.  The benefits far outweigh the downfalls.  The bad and ugly only last for so long.  Don't get me wrong, I have some bad days and I struggle with food on a daily basis, but I finally feel good in that I'm taking control of my weight now. 

pineview01
on 2/20/13 11:32 am - Davison, MI

Hi Annie!  I was banded 2/25/09 and unbanded 9/4/12.  Our center does the revision in two steps.  I was upset as first, but now am glad that he did knowing what I do now. 

I do want to note I did well with the restriction of the band when it worked but that wasn't for long before all the medical issues from the band.  That is why I knew the sleeve would be a good fit.  It also help me hold of diabetes with the band.  My 1AC# I think it is, actually went down some 

I had to go thru the whole process again to be able to get the sleeve including a 6 month supervised diet.  I was lucky as I had started with seeing my PCP in January.  I than journaled every thing I ate and did on CalorieCount.com from that day forward.  I should have checked in with the doc every month.  The insurance did except the 7 month 2 inch documentation but, could have denied it.  I had to get another Psych Eval, another surgeon orientation, another Nutrition class.    Than  

I had my pre-op admission test.  I than started the two week pre-op liquid diet.  Next surgery day.  I found the surgery to be less painful that Getting the band and getting the band out.  I woke up from surgery on the way to my room.  They had me hooked to a pain machine.  I does on and off until the DD that was sleeved two years ago paid me back and got me up to walk.  After that I realized the pain pump just made me drowse and upset my stomach.  I hadn't used it but, a half dozen times.  My big issues was the cath and drain.  The cath cause me pain and one nurse finally figured out it had crimped and the urine had back up and my bladder felt like it was bursting.  I didn't use pain meds after that until I went home and she gave me liquid pain med for the ride home.  I had to have the drain left in for two week.  I had more drainage than normal due to all the have to fix from the damage the band had caused.  It took them 45 minutes to fix it up before he preformed a perfect sleeve.

As a revision I think we lose slower.  With the Pre-op diet I have lost 30 pounds in six weeks.  I lost 12 with the pre-op diet and 18 in the first four week.

In summary, the sleeve so far has gone much, much better than the band.

Check out the failed band group and the new band to sleeve groups if not already.  If you have an other question post them on over on the band to sleeve group.  We may have already posted what you want to know there.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

gorditabonita
on 2/20/13 11:37 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

I am a band to sleeve patient and so far my sleeve has been a great tool. Here's my 2 cents:

Good - Unlike with my band, I had restriction right away. The weight is coming off at a consistent pace and the recovery was relatively easy. It was easier that with the band, in my opinion. I had no pain.

Bad - I was extremely nauseous after surgery. It lasted for two days - I thought I was going to die. But, my day 3, all was well.

Ugly - This really has nothing to do with the sleeve but I developed pneumonia after surgery as a result of the intubation for anesthesia. That is a risk for all surgeries, though.

Good luck with everything!

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

cheermom4kc
on 2/20/13 11:37 am

I was banded in 2007 and due to complications I had mine removed in 2010.  I started putting the weight back on and decided to get the sleeve.  I was sleeved on January 9, 2013.  My experience with the sleeve has been great.  I can honestly say that the pain was VERY minimal.  I took two doses of pain med and that was at night just so I could relax more.  Other than that I would not have taken any pain meds at all.  As for the diet it is pretty much what the others have stated above, so I won't go thru that again.  In the first 2 weeks I lost 20 pounds then my body went what the heck is going on and stalled for a couple of weeks.  With the sleeve you have the feeling of being full, but you don't have to worry about anything getting stuck and having to throw up.  I can honestly say I am extremely happy with my sleeve and so glad that I made this choice to have VSG done.  Hope this helps.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 192 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 278 views