Severe/painful acid reflux?? I think???

laurakisby
on 2/26/13 8:18 pm

I had my surgery on Oct. 1st and there have been a few times that I have woken up unable to breathe almost. Once I couldn't without swallowing air everytime that I breathed in.  It burns like I literally have acid coming up but not like the normal acid reflux that I would sometimes get before surgery. I am up once again this morning because of it.  What is this????  What is causing it???  Can anyone else relate???

MuttLover
on 2/26/13 8:38 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

I think that's reflux.  I didn't have that kind of reflux before surgery (I've been taking 40mg of Nexium 2X a day for many, many years), so that kind of reflux was a surprise!  But since I take twice the normal dose of Nexium already, what I found to help, was to take a Pepcid Complete before bedtime as well or to take one when I would wake up with the problem. 

That helped me.  I don't have it very often -- my surgery was in Nov., and I primary had the problem early on -- OR if I eat too close to bedtime.  Also, sleep with your head propped up a little  -- that keeps the acid "down" instead of coming up your throat when you are laying flat.

If it keeps up or is frequent, and if you aren't taking a PPI (like Nexium, Prilosec or protonix), talk to your doc.  Reflux is a serious problem and should be treated.

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

nieba
on 2/27/13 1:42 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with

I "believe" that since your insides changed, your reflux is going to change too. I had GERD (constant acid reflux) for 4 years prior to surgery. Afterwards, it is get a little worse. But I also found instead of foods causing it, I was getting acid throat every morning and at least once more in the afternoon. I have been taking Zegrid since a month out from surgery (now 6 months out) and these last 2 weeks, I found I forgot to take it and haven't needed to. I would definitely mention this to your doc, and try a Zantac to see if it helps. Your body is still going through some changes and this will probably change again too.

Good Luck!

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views