Question for the 100 pound losers??

mary d
on 3/2/13 8:25 pm

You should not be exercising, especially for 60 mins on a treadmill until you are able to get in ALL of your fluids and at least 60 grams of protein.

Drink!!! and figure out ways to get protein in.  That should be your main focus, not weight loss or exercise.  You need to heal, and you won't without lots of water and nurishement.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

Cwuddy
on 3/2/13 10:38 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12

I started off really slow and thought I was going to be a slower loser..but I read as many posts as I could from the Vets on here and follow the plan of eating 600-800 calories per day, at least 70 g of protein but I aim for 80 or 90 and keeping carbs under 40 but i usually do around 25 or so.  I also try to never eat until I'm stuffed b/c I'm terrified to stretch my sleeve and I never drink when I'm eating.

I haven't been perfect as I have had the odd bite of something that I shouldn't but that's as off track as I have been.  I still struggle to get in my 64 oz of water (I don't count anything but actual clear water so I do get more in by way of decaf coffee etc)...I try to exercise at least 4 days a week but at minimum walk every day and take stairs instead of elevators etc.

I lost 100 lbs exactly 11 days shy of 6 months and I feel amazing and exercise is far easier weighing less!  I have had a steady loss anywhere from 2-5 lbs per week and have never hit a stall except for the very first week or so when i thought I was going to be a slow loser.

Good luck to you on your journey!  Remember that it is a life style change and you really need to learn how to use your tool to it's full potential.

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

Swiftkick00
on 3/2/13 10:52 am

That's exactly why I love this forum!!!  Your advice and others helps us newbies so we can cross that bridge to the VET status!

Thanks for the great encouragement!

pineview01
on 3/2/13 10:52 am, edited 3/2/13 10:52 am - Davison, MI

Make sure you are working on getting that fluid in foremost.  I found I could get more in if I put anything in it so used CL and MIO.  applesauce doesn't add protein, I'd switch out to Greek yogurt for higher protein and lower carbs.  Can you have Cottage Cheese?  I could and I lived on those two items and protein shakes, added unflavored protein to everything just to get in more protein.  The first two weeks.

Good luck

Can't talk to the 100 pounds but, have been thru the first week problems.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Swiftkick00
on 3/2/13 10:57 am

I haven't tried cottage cheese.....but will get some tomorrow....Your right about the applesauce....I probably need to cut that out, but it tastes good and coats my stomach.....I thought about adding protein powder to yogurt but thought that would ruin it.....the dannon light is 80 calories with 12 grams of protein.....I can get that in no problem.....was thinking since that goes in just eat 2 or 3 a day.

Thanks for your kinds words

SuzyNZ
on 3/2/13 11:47 am
VSG on 09/17/12

At this stage, fluid is your absolute priority, above any type of food.  In the early stages, it's always a balance as once you start eating foods, it will become harder to also drink as you will feel like you are too full to drink as well.  I couldn't eat anywhere near the amounts that were on my NUTs plan, but she was fine with that.  Just have a water bottle in your hand at all times and keep sipping all day

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

mickeymantle
on 3/2/13 2:46 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

how about trying some sf ice pops or better yet freeze some chocolate protein shake like a fudgecycle

you must get in as much liquids as possible some people do great on broth or herb tea ether warm or iced

or you could suck on ice cubes

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

sheranfour
on 3/2/13 7:06 pm, edited 3/2/13 7:08 pm

Hi!

Please keep in mind that everyone should follow their surgeons plan. My plan seems to be very different than than most of the gang here, but here's what I was told to do...and did. ( surgery 9/11/12...down 113 since pre-pre-op ...started 223):

I was instructed to drink 4 oz every hour for the first few weeks. That broke down to a medicine cup every 15 min. I lived on Isopure ( a lot of folks hate the stuff...but it worked for me)...then my liquid protein changed  to 4 medicine cups of a myoplex choc prot shake. HOWEVER...I was sooooooooo thirsty and called my NUT often...in tears. She was very insistant that although the protein is priority...GETTING DEHYDRATED IS A BIGGER ISSUE. She told me she'd rather me sip whatever water I could tolerate for the first 30 min ...then prot drink the second 30.all day everyday for those first few weeks.

I was  very lucky. I was able to stay out of work for a full 5 weeks...I watched the clock all day every day...measured out and drank those cups like my life depended on it...becuase for me...it did. After week 1...I started going for walks in my neighborhood and kept busy & active.

For me...and I'm saying ME...I stay on plan. I pre- plan, I log, I suck down my water. I keep it simple and stick to it. Have I had a bite more than I should here and there...only a few times in my 5 1/2 months...but it's been extra protein. I do not do breads. The only carbs I do are "the way GOD made them"...a 2/3 of an orange, sugar snap peas, steamed veggies etc. An occassional V8 if I'm on the run. The only processed carb I have is maybe 2x a week I'll have 10 reduced fat wheat thins with laughing cow on them. My NUT is encouraging me to eat more carbs..but this works great for me... so she gave me the OK to keep doing what I'm doing...becuase for ME it works.

I don't know if this helps or not...but this is how I'm "workin' my sleeve".

Good Luck to you!!

Peace

~Deb

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
vocalcoach
on 3/2/13 9:36 pm - MD

Hello,

I was concerned about you when I saw how little you are drinking and eating.  I did lose 100 in less than 6 months but I definitely was getting in my water and protein requirements everyday...I felt like it was my "job and responsibility" to myself to care for this tool and gift and do everything I could do to make sure I was getting what I needed each day for my new tummy=) 

I'm 14 months post op now and I still get over 90g of protein and drink 64oz+ of water everyday.  My days aren't "perfect" and sometimes I do choose the wrong food to eat but I always get in my protein, supplements/vitamins, and water everyday.  I also workout 5-6 days/week too doing high intensity cardio and strength training....I feel incredible...went from size 28 to size 6! 

Just take it one meal and one day at a time and you'll get there too!!!

Maria

HW-315 (11/1/11)

SW- 288 (12/20/11)

CW- 146

GW- 160 (12/2/12)

Swiftkick00
on 3/3/13 3:34 am

Hi Maria

I was sleeved by Dr. Singh too....I just didn't change over my profile.....I'm meeting with him tomorrow.....he won't be happy with my liquid intake.....I appreciate your care and concern....could I keep in contact with you.

Lisa

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 449 views