Some questions from a pre-op

anniel1015
on 3/4/13 6:28 am

I swear I got my date and now I am full of questions.  I have a call into my surgeon's office, but won't hear bac****il tomorrow so I thought I'd ask you all what your experience was.  

My husband will be taking some time off when I have my surgery on the 26th, but we're just trying to figure out exactly how much time he should take off.  We know he's taking the 3 days off when I will be in the hospital and released, but does he need to take any time off once I get home?  I know he'll obviously have to take me to my post op appt, but beyond that do I really need him here 24/7?  For what it's worth he works a part time and a full time job.  He works the part time job on Tues, Thurs and Fri from 7am to 3:30pm so he'll probably go ahead and work that once I get home, but his full time job is a little more difficult because he works odd hours(11-8pm, 1-10pm, 5-11pm, etc).  They are letting him take FMLA, but he'd prefer to miss as little work as possible as he was just out sick for a week.

Oh, another question-any idea how much in advance we need to stop NSAIDS?  I use Voltaren gel for tennis elbow.  I last used it on Friday or Saturday, but am going to ask my surgeon just in case I need it this week before I see him next Monday.

I feel like my brain is in overdrive ever since I got my date.  I'm going to make up some lists tonight of things I need to get and things I need to done pre and post op so as not to forget to pay a bill or something.  LOL  Was anyone else like this?

ravenbrown
on 3/4/13 6:38 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

No idea on the NSAIDs, that's better answered by your surgeon regardless.  My hubs didn't take off any time.  I took myself to my post-op appointment.  My surgery went really well and besides some soreness, I didn't have any issues.  I enjoyed my two weeks off work simply because I could catch up on my reading and watch crappy TV :)

Pjb1967
on 3/4/13 6:45 am
I think if he has a limited amount of time to take off he should not bother with the two days after your surgery when you will be in the hospital, unless it has to do with taking care of kids at home, that's a different story, but when your in the hospital there is nothing he can do for you and it would be wasted time off. You could use more help once you come home. Really 2 or 3 days at home with your husband would be plenty, unless again you have very small kids. Good luck.
NiceyDoodle
on 3/4/13 6:51 am - Calgary, Canada
VSG on 02/19/13

I agree, time off when in hospital unless there are children to tend too is pointless. 

Its nice to have someone in the house when you get home.  It hurts even now a bit to bend over to pick things up. It was nice to have someone to do that for me. Plus, have someone push me to leave the house and walk.  You will heal nicely and it will be OK!

All the best :)

anniel1015
on 3/4/13 6:54 am

Thank you.  I've told him that I only need him on the day of surgery and then obviously to bring me home, but I know my surgeon requires a follow up within a week post op and I know I won't be allowed to drive so he'll have to be available for that.  We don't have any kids at home, just a dog and a cat who are like kids.  LOL  I was thinking maybe to have him stay home the day after I come home just to make sure everything is ok here if I should happen to be released late in the day on day 3 and then just make sure his work schedule will accommodate bringing me to my follow up visit.

emelar
on 3/4/13 6:55 am - TX

He needs to be at the hospital to make sure everything goes okay and so you can see his smiling face when you wake up in your room.  You probably won't need him at the hospital.  The nurses get you up the first time, mainly because you're hooked to IVs that need to be shifted around.  BUT everyone's recovery is different, so you may want to wait and see how you feel after surgery before you send him back to work.

I didn't need any help at home and drove myself to the post-op visit 5 days after surgery, then dropped my sister off at the airport.  But again, you mileage may vary.  So, hope for the best, prepare for the worse.

butterfly3851
on 3/4/13 7:05 am - TX

My husband took off the full day of surgery (10:15 am)-  I sent him home about 6:30 that night - we were both exhausted.  The next day he went in to work and worked til noon then came to get me home.  The next morning he got me up and situated in a recliner with my computer, phones, remote, my drink, and went to work then he came home a little earlier than normal.  I did fine - no kids at home - just a needy dog.  The next day he did the same, and then after than he left before I got up - no problems- I learned how to get myself out of bed!  

Kcdietz
on 3/4/13 8:48 am - GA
I would not have wanted to be left alone at night. I had a great hospital with a great staff, but I have heard to many stories of things going wrong. My aunt spent the night with me so that my husband could go home and take care of our kids. I was so grateful to her for that. It was very difficult for me to get up to walk or use the bathroom. I'm sure the nurses would have helped if I needed them, but it was nice to have her there. Funny thing is we kept trying to use the call button for a nurse and finally found out no one was coming because it was broke. I'm probably a big wimp, but I do think its important to have someone that can advocate for you. Once I was home I did pretty well on my own. I was able to get up and down the stairs by myself.

Rms928
on 3/4/13 9:25 am
VSG on 03/20/13

My surgery is March 20th. My surgeon said to stop Nsaids at least one week before. I started my preop diet today and stopped taking the Nsaids over the weekend. However, i would ask your doc.

M1-10 M2-31.4 M3-11 M4-16.8 M5-15 M6-10 M7-14 M8-9

Collette65
on 3/4/13 12:09 pm - Fairview, TX
VSG on 03/11/13
Same for me, stopped NSAIDs this weekend and surgery is this Monday the 11th. None 7 days prior to your date.

Collette

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views