Healthy Mom, Healthy Kids? Did WLS help your family, too?

moonchild1968
on 3/15/13 3:11 am, edited 3/15/13 3:13 am - Tucker, GA

One of my goals is to demonstrate cleaner and healthier living for my family.  I'm hoping that the sleeve will help me get a better hold on my food choices and habits so that I can teach my boys how to eat better and get moving.  Sadly, I have passed on my bad food habits to them and now they're struggling with being obese kids. I don't want them to have to deal with weight issues all their lives like I have.

How has WLS helped you to be a better motivator and role model for your children?

MomofMarch
on 3/15/13 3:29 am - GA

Unfortunately, it's become almost an eating disorder for my 8 year old. Mind you, she's TINY. Her doctor told me yesterday that she's underweight due to her ADHD meds. She's always concerned with calories and carbs now. I have to remind her that while we need to be mindful of what we eat, it's not something she needs to actually WORRY about. My youngest, is a plump toddler, but they all grow out of it. My husband is on the bandwagon with me, so we're all eating healthy.

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

Chris A.
on 3/15/13 3:32 am, edited 3/15/13 3:32 am - Colfax, CA
VSG on 11/20/12

Absolutely! I used to harp on my son (both kids actually) about what they ate (even if it was similar to what I ate). Now they see what I eat and are slowly adjusting their diet to reflect my emphasis on whole, natural (as opposed to processed) foods. I focus on having them eat slowly and they see me exercise daily and often join in now. And my son has started working out each evening doing body weight exercises, as well as getting into road biking with me. My wife and kids will all run in a 5k with me for the first time at the start of April. Before surgery, I was afraid that my son especially would follow in my foot steps to life long struggles with weight. Now I think the tide has begun to change and it seems as if he is not destined to go down that path.

moonchild1968
on 3/16/13 12:49 am - Tucker, GA

You're doing with just what I hope to do....lead by example. Great work and your weight ticker looks really good, too. angry

mnmommaof2
on 3/15/13 3:42 am
VSG on 11/23/12

My husband has lost about 20 lbs since my surgery and my kids are definitely eating healthier.  I am the grocery shopper and food preparer so I choose what's on the table.  We're also much more active because I am the one who now wants to go places and do stuff rather than sit on the couch and watch TV all day.  My overwieght seven year old sees me working by butt off on the treadmill and after I'm done wants to hop on and be like Mommy.  Show them through example.  A healthier happier you equals a healthier happier them.

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

moonchild1968
on 3/16/13 12:51 am - Tucker, GA

That's what I needed to hear.  "A healthier happier you equals a healthier happier them."  You're so right.

happyteacher
on 3/15/13 9:15 am

Yes.  My husband lost 90 pounds without surgery, because immediately after surgery I was struggling a bit, so he went on a diet with me.  He no longer needs surgery, although needs to drop another 30.    My 17 year old daughter started eating healthier.  My husband (who does most of the cooking) switched to healthy dinners- something that he steadfast refused to do prior to my surgery.  My youngest (13) is now very attentive to nutrition and makes an effort to get her protein in. My oldest was already bordering on being underweight (20 year old son) and he lost a little by default.  The family beneffitted greatly!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

moonchild1968
on 3/16/13 12:52 am - Tucker, GA

Wow! Two thumbs up to you and your hubby.  Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

sleevegirl
on 3/16/13 1:59 am - Austin, TX

My husband lost 15 pounds. My daughter slimmed down a little, but that's probably mostly growth as she's never been a huge eater. My son, however, has been the biggest change. He's probably not lost any weight over the past 2 years, but he's not gained (and gotten taller). He went from overweight to lean and mean. Here, pictures speak a thousand words...

August 2010:

My big 2nd and 4th grader! First day of school.   December 2012:   Untitled

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views