VSG AND RESOLVING DIABETES

TamaraL
on 3/15/13 9:47 am

I have a friend that has the lap band and is revising surgery.  she is trying to decide between the RNY and the sleeve. Her b iggest concern is her family has diabetes and she doesn't want to get.

soo my question is.  does anyone have any research articles on how the sleeve resolved diabetes. 

i want her to make a informed decision and this is the one thing that is keeping her from choosing the sleeve.

Tamara

mickeymantle
on 3/15/13 10:32 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

any way you lose weight will help with diabetes,

if you have diabetes more than 10 years chances are none will correct it completely, but the sleeve has a great record of getting people off meds or lowering there need for meds

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

macshellabell
on 3/15/13 11:01 am

I am also wondering about this as I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few days ago and now my surgery coordinator said I should think about gastric bypass instead as that can help with type 2 diabetes.  

Good luck with finding some answers and I am thankful for you asking this question as I was contemplating the question as well!!!

tigerbelle
on 3/15/13 1:44 pm - LA
VSG on 05/06/13

my surgeon says that VSG also has been shown to help or even resolve type 2 diabetes...he said the research has not been conclusive on exactly how this works, but my recollection is that the diabetes resolution rate for VSG is comparable to RNY

MacMadame
on 3/15/13 4:25 pm - Northern, CA

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/15/13 4:36 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Your friend doesn't have diabetes yet right? So its not an issue of resolving (or putting it into remission rather because as far as I know it cannot be cured by any surgery) but of preventing if I understand correctly?

This very much depends on her genes. Thin people also get diabetes. It is not just brought on by weight although weight does increase your chances of triggering it especially if there is a pre disposition.

I was diagnosed a year before surgery but was probably diabetic for two years before diagnosis. I stopped taking my meds a week before surgery and have not needed them since. My blood sugar has been normal and I don't spike anymore even when I eat a fruit or a bite of something carby. My surgeon told me that the impact of RnY and the sleeve on diabetes remission is the same. The DS has a higher percentage of success in terms of remission but carries a lot of other consequences and lifestyle adaptations with it.

Best of luck to your friend.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

LilSleeved
on 3/15/13 4:41 pm

If her risk for DM is related to genetics, she can't really do anything to change that.

I have patients who are active, normal weighted individuals who are full blown Type 2 - they became that way by no fault of their own.  It's such a strong familiar history. 

Losing weight can help control DM if she should get it, but to totally avoid it, that won't happen.just because of a WLS procedure.

I do know that some DS patients who were Type 2 are now in remission.

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 140 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 408 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 435 views