A little over 3 months pre-op and need some advice

Kellyh0902
on 3/23/13 5:32 am - Nolensville, TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I am 49 years old; will be 50 in September and would like to start out my 50’s being much healthier than I have been over the past 20 years. 

I am in month three of my supervised diet, which NOT surprisingly, isn’t going very well.  I am guessing my surgery date will be sometime in the beginning of July. My first nutritionist appt. is not until May.  Reading and thinking about how drastic life is going to change post-op, I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for some lifestyle changes I can start working on pre-op.  I am hoping that if I can learn to cook/eat differently over the next few months, then perhaps I will be better prepared for the changes I will be making post-op.  Any tips or suggestions on what I could/should be doing for the next three months would be most welcomed!

I have also never tried any of the protein shakes, powders, bars, except for back in my Slim-fast days (about 15 years ago), which of course, never stuck.   From what I have read, your taste for things can change dramatically after surgery, so do you think it is worth it for me to find something I like now, given that it may very well taste awful to me after?  I have always been an easy gagger, so I worry that I will not be able to get the shakes even past my throat.  I’m hoping if I start working on it now, it might be easier by the time I really need to be drinking them.  Do you have any suggestions on what I could be trying now? 

Additionally, I have RA and am on a maintenance dose of prednisone (for the past two years).  I have to d/c the prednisone probably four to six weeks prior the surgery.  I am very concerned about the pain and swelling I will experience when I do this, as I still have breakthrough episodes of severe pain and moderate swelling.  I take numerous other meds for the RA and am worried about being able to continue that after the surgery, mainly because I usually need a lot of water to get the pills down.   My hope is that with a significant weight loss, the stress on the joints will be relieved and maybe I can get the RA under better control and get off so many of the meds. Has anyone else dealt with this or similar issues?

Sorry, this is so long-winded with so many questions.  Any advice would be appreciated!

debk21
on 3/23/13 5:48 am - Mansfield, TX

Wow!  That's a lot to deal with.  I'm certainly not a doc, but I would also think that the weight loss will help the RA.  Congratulations on your decision.  I really don't think there is a whole lot you can do prior to surgery to prepare for the life after as it will be so drastically different.  Just try to keep to your diet and try new grilling, stir fry and crock pot recipes so you feel like you have more choices when you begin eating normally post op.

As far as the shakes go, my personal favorite is Premier Protein (Chocolate), which can be purchased at Sam's or Costco.  Many people enjoy the Nectar's, so you may want to try them.  My tastes didn't really change after surgery, but my cravings did.  Once I got that ugly carb monster out of my life, I no longer crave the pasta, bread and sweets like I did prior to surgery. 

Good luck to you and I hope the RA flares are few and far between during your hiatus from your meds.  (I was also 49 when I had this surgery and it has changed my life!!!)

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Kellyh0902
on 3/23/13 6:26 am - Nolensville, TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Thanks Deb.  I'm very encouraged that you were the same age when you had your surgery, but moreso that you started right about where I am and you currently are at my "real" goal weight.  I just did not have the courage to put it in writing, but it is where I secretly dream of getting to, as this it is what my weight was during all of my 20s.  Either way, I just long to feel healthy again!  Congrats on a job well done!

Kelly

swizzlequeen
on 3/23/13 6:25 am

I prepared nicely, I think, for surgery by pretending before surgery that I already had VSG -- then followed as closely as practical what that lifestyle would be...

can you and your RA doc  brainstorm alternative ways for you to get the RA meds you need, ways that don't require you to swallow a pill? -- patches, shots, infusions, pain pumps...?

You are asking really great questions, which is a great way to go into surgery, a great way to prepare...

We are rooting for you! :)

Kellyh0902
on 3/23/13 6:33 am - Nolensville, TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Good point!  I will have to talk to him about the alternatives.  At our visit last month, he said he would like me to go Gluten-free.  While I don't have Celiac's, he thinks there may be some benefit to it and/or I possibly might be sensitive to Gluten.  Did some research and had no idea that Gluten is everywhere!  Most of the Gluten-free stuff that is out in the grocery stores now is loaded with alternatives that are not ideal for weight loss,  Anyhow, I am going to have to check out the protein shakes and bars that will become part of my diet soon and see if there are any gluten-free that aren't loaded with all the bad stuff.  I am thinking more along the lines that it will be better for me to attempt the Gluten-free once I get into the maintenance stage, or at least once I get about three months out or so. 

HilaryH8103
on 3/23/13 7:33 am - WA
I also have RA & Lymphedema. I would talk to your doctor about getting off of the prednisone sooner rather than later. My surgeon wouldn't even do the surgery if I had been on prednisone in the last six weeks before the surgery date. He also made me wait 3 months since my last infusion of Rituxin because it drastically slows down the heeling process. I was also told by my surgeon that I have to wait at least 3 months after my surgery before I can get infusions again. I've lost 40lbs in 28 days and I can tell that my RA has been improving. Now my lymphedema on the other hand is just as bad as ever but I'm confident that it will get better with weight loss and the diuretic pills that my pcp has put me on. I'm about 99% sure that the 40lbs I lost was all water and what's even crazier is that the first 34lbs was lost in the first 5 days right after my surgery.

Does your surgeon know that you're taking prednisone? What other kind of medications are you on for your RA? You do not want to slow down the healing process of your new tummy so make sure your surgeon knows exactly what medications you are on.

Good Luck to you. You'll be in my thoughts & in my prayers.

XO,
Hilary
Kellyh0902
on 3/23/13 8:23 am - Nolensville, TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Hi Hilary,

So glad to hear that your RA is improving with the weight loss.  That is definitely what I am hoping for.  I feel like I am running in circles with the extra weight causing/worsening so many issues, however, the issues make exercising extremely difficult as well as all the side effects of the meds.  I have tried many different meds for the RA, most did not help or I just could not tolerate them.  Currently I am on Colcrys (which I know is for gout, but the rheumatolgist says he has seen improvement in RA inflammation with it), Sulfasalazine, Prednisone, Celebrex and Voltaren gel.  I cannot take some of the newer meds because of some of my other issues and meds.  Yes, the surgeon knows about the prednisone and the rheumatologist knows about the surgery.  I think just to be safe and because I don't want my surgery postponed any longer, I am going to start the weaning process this week.

Thanks for replying and I will pray that your lymphedema starts resolving very soon!

Dirk_Gristlefist
on 3/23/13 3:04 pm

OH user Nikke2003 is in the midst of a six-month supervised diet and she keeps a great blog that mentions some of the ways she's making that work for her. Her blog is called "Flirty by Thirty" and it's a great read.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views