Blenderizing veggies and fruit?

May Q.
on 3/26/13 1:50 am
VSG on 06/26/13

Hi- Hopefully I will be getting the VSG in a few months and I have a questions for those of you who have already had the surgery.

I keep hearing about how you have get in your protein, fruits and veggies.

So i was wondering - have any of you  tried making green juices or veggie/ fruit smoothies to get in your fruits and veggies?  Maybe even add some whey protein to the juice?

Any thoughts, recommendations, opinions that you guys can give me - i will greatly appreciate it :)

I figured if i took some water, spinach, celery and strawberries and whey protein -  blenderize it with my vitamix blender... it might be a good drink to take on the go to my college classes?

what are your thoughts?

Thanks again :)

- May

http://www.may-le.com

MomofMarch
on 3/26/13 4:02 am - GA

I've blended some fresh fruits in with my protein shakes. The main concern is protein before non starchy vegetables, then fruits. Keep an eye on the carb counts of each. I was shocked to find out that mango and bananas are pretty high in carbs. I'm one of the sleevers that's on a low carb count.

I stuck to having just protein shakes, and lean protein foods for a while. I'm just now to the point of adding veggies after I get my protein needs. Have you started speaking with a nutritionist? Each surgeon and nutritionist/dietician has a different plan as far as what they tell their patients to consume. That would be a wonderful place to start. Good luck!!

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

May Q.
on 3/26/13 4:21 am
VSG on 06/26/13

Hi thanks for responding - Yes I am seeing the nutritionist, but when i suggested this she acted like i was talking about blenderizing a burger or something.

So i rather not even touch the subject again with her... Her motto is why blend it when you can chew it..

But for me, I am a full time student - I mean how can i sit in class for 30 minutes and munch on a snack - thats kind of disrespectful and distracting to other students... So if i can zip on my blenderized veggies... I think that will be better...

Thanks for responding, I really appreciate your opinions :)

- May

jarabacoagirl
on 3/26/13 5:31 am
VSG on 12/17/12

On my pre-op up diet I blended low carb green veggies with the protein supplement.  Post-op my sleeve doesn't like it.  Really fiberous things are hard on the sleeve at first.  I was really hoping to do that post-op so I could get more nutrition.  Hopefully in time my sleeve will be able to handle it.   I'm 3 months post op.  For now I can mix in berries or banana or pumpkin puree or PB2 (low fat peanut butter) to flavor my shakes.   My sleeve doesn't mind that.    I hope that helps answer your question cause I literally had the same question pre-op because I was concern about not getting enough fruits and veggies.  I'm not going to lie you will not get is much fruits and veggies as you hope to in the beginning.  But ever day it gets better.  Like I can eat a 1/3 of an apple slowly now.  I can eat carrots sticks easily now.  But other than that mostly for veggies I have to steam them or saute them because they are more easy to digest that way..

BTW, I have a nutribullet which is like a smaller form of the vitamix.  You will find your Vitamix will come in handy in the post op phase like when you need to puree your foods. 

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

May Q.
on 3/26/13 5:56 am
VSG on 06/26/13

Jarabacoagirl Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your answer. YES!! it does answer my question. I just feel like sometimes i rather ask people who have gone through surgery about certain things, rather than the nutritionist.  Thanks for the tips really :)

BTW - random question, have you been to Jarabacoa,DR?

Just wondering because of your username, lol

Thanks again for the response

- May

happyteacher
on 3/26/13 8:24 am

If you work the calories into the plan it could work.  Generally, many of us try to avoid liquid calories during weight loss.  I was an exception and juiced from time to time.  I went light on the fruit and heavy on the veggies.  Now I drink it daily.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views