How common is a "soft stop"?

christib1975
on 3/25/13 9:28 pm - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

My NUT keeps talking about eating to your soft stop...which could be a hiccup, runny nose, sneeze, etc.

My question is...how common is it to have a soft stop? I've been on soft foods for a week and thank goodness for food scales, cause I can eat what I feel is alot so I weigh things out.

Is a soft stop something that comes with eating denser proteins?

Or are some of us just not lucky enough to develop one?

Thanks!

HW: 324  CW: 201.4

SarahI
on 3/25/13 9:40 pm - Indian River, MI
VSG on 03/04/13

It is weird i know, but sometimes i have a hiccup or i start sneezing.  I don't rely on that to tell me when i am done because i find that when i get to that point i have gone too far.  But it is nice for when i don't pay attention to my food and i do over do it.  I have gone past that point and let me tell ya it is not a nice feeling nor do i like getting sick.  Everybody is different and some people don't really recognize they are having a soft stop.  

SARAH

AnnieinIA
on 3/25/13 9:41 pm
I like the term - soft stop, but I don't have one. I do hiccup sometimes, but it will often be with the first or second bite. I have a slight runny nose all the time since surgery - more when I am not eating than when I am.

Weighing and measuring isn't much of a help either, as an amount seems perfect one day and too much/ too little the next. I still measure religiously, though, so I know my cal/protein/ carb counts.

I am 6 months out, so it never got better for me.

A
71dart
on 3/25/13 10:02 pm
VSG on 08/06/12 with
I definitely get a runny nose. I did not get that signal until I was on the "mechanical soft" phase and ate my first tuna. I try to avoid getting to that point by pre-measuring. If you eat slowly, a soft stop may be ok, but if you eat quickly, that point may be too far. Sometimes even pre-measuring, if I eat extra lean/dense protein, I get that signal before I finish-so I stop.

louisamay
on 3/25/13 11:06 pm
VSG on 04/27/12

Wow. I wonder if I get a runny nose. As soon as I saw you'd written those words, I was aware of my own runny nose right this minute, which I didn't have earlier, and yes I ate a little more for breakfast than usual.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

A. Kondrlik
on 3/25/13 10:04 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

AnnieiIA.....  I am 2 months out and think I am just like you.  Sometimes I don't feel full till 5 minutes after I eat out my measured amount.  /and I burp or hiccup all the time. My nose runs alot, but..... I havent seen any pattern.   My nut said to slooow down my eating.  she said I also need to quit being a member of the clean plate club. (Really hard)  I will measure and weigh forever.

Anne

I

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

AnnieinIA
on 3/26/13 3:26 am
Yeah - no pattern is kind of a challenge - because sometimes the pre- measured amount is too much, sometimes not. I am very repetitious with my food choices, so really notice the variance.

Tis what it is -

Smiles,

A
frisco
on 3/25/13 10:05 pm, edited 3/25/13 10:06 pm

** Follow what your Bariatric "Team" tells you to do as someone here calls it. Other suggestions are just that.....suggestions and opinions.

In my opinion, eating for a soft stop is totally the wrong way to eat. It's a form of eating till your full. Eating till your full (for me) always meant till a little bit or a lot of discomfort. So eating for a soft stop would mean eating up until discomfort.

In most cases those soft stop signals means you ate to much.

Eating for a soft stop "may" be more of a maintenance strategy after you have a year or so of experience. Still probably not the best approach.

Eating fixed/measured amounts of food that is under your sleeve capacity (under eat your sleeve) is the most logical way to keep "control" over the quantity that you consume per meal.

By eating this way you keep portions under control, which helps keep your nutritional accounting accurate.

Not everyone gets those soft stop signals you have mentioned. And yes, it becomes more obvious with denser proteins.

Now, eating till a soft stop within your fixed/measured amount would be a good thing since different foods effect people differently.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

MuttLover
on 3/25/13 10:43 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

I agree with Frisco, and our NUT says to eat until you start to feel full.  I have historically not had a "full" feeling, even before surgery (I guess because of a lifetime of stomach problems), and post op, there are only a couple of dense proteins that give me a feeling of fullness within 2-3 oz -- really just smoked turkey (not deli, but smoked on a smoker).   Even pork chops, not so much.  But chicken, nope.  I don't eat much steak.  Sometimes fish (but I think that's more in my head, since I don't care for it that much!).

So I always weigh my meats and only eat that amount -- usually 2-2.5 oz.  Then stop. 

However, I didn't start to feel that restriction until about 3 months (like everyone says) and even now (at 4 months) I notice that some days I feel it more than others.  I will also have a little hiccup -- but that is usually 5 minutes or so after I've stopped eating -- which also reinforces to me, that I shouldn't wait for that signal before stopping.  

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

mimij
on 3/25/13 11:54 pm - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I agree with Frisco and Muttlover. I get a burp or two but it is about 3-5 minutes after I have stopped eating. I am 6 months out and I still weigh and measure everything and stick to 2.5 oz dense protein, 4-6 oz yogurt and cottage cheese, and so on.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 465 views