Need some help/advice

christib1975
on 3/26/13 12:52 pm - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

Not even going to preface this with a TMI...(all questions kinda go together)

I am constipated, not going regularly at all...trying Miralax, however, I don't want to continue taking it. I would like to find a way to get back to some sort of regularity...what are your thoughts on the following:

1) I would like to increase my fat intake while on soft foods...it seems that everything on my soft foods approved list is high protein, low fat, no fiber...any ideas or thoughts on what I can do to increase the fat at this stage?

2) Opinion...continue Miralax or begin to take a stool softener? Should I do both or neither?

3) Water...I am drinking a minimum of 72 ounces but I am not going to the bathroom very much...could my body be retaining water or using it all for body functioning? What is a minimum I should strive for? 100oz?

Thanks in advance...I am miserable

HW: 324  CW: 201.4

MomofMarch
on 3/26/13 1:05 pm, edited 3/26/13 1:05 pm - GA

I am lucky to go once or twice a week. It was explained to me as "little in, little out". I really wouldn't increase your fats.You run the risk of dumping. (YES it can happen, it happens to me when I have too much sugar, carbs, or WAY more fat than should be allowed.) You will end up in the bathroom for a good long while. As in, if you feel like you have to fart, you'd better RUN!

You can take a stool softener, and you can also continue the Miralax. I think the package says not to use it for more than a week. That's pretty much all it took to shock my system back into going. (I had not gone in 3 weeks.) I think you can also use the tasteless Metamucil, but I'm not 100% positive on that one.

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

MomofMarch
on 3/26/13 1:07 pm - GA

Oh, if those don't help, I have resorted to using milk of magnesia. Fair warning, you will be in the bathroom all day long and it WILL drain you of fluids. So keep on top of that if it is the route you choose.

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

christib1975
on 3/26/13 1:17 pm - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

Thank you so much for your response...I appreciate it and am happy to know that it's not un-natural to not be going like I have...

This is the worst part of the process for me...I think i just have to live with a new normal.

I will give the Miralax a chance and begin a stool softener too...if nothing else, it's going to be a close to home Easter weekend...lol

PhillyGator
on 3/26/13 1:29 pm

We had surgery on the same day!

But I also wanted to tell you that I've noticed I only have a BM every other day, if that. The only time I use the Miralax is if I have pain from the constipation and know that it's from the back up. I mean, honestly, we're not getting that much in us and our body is going to use as much as possible so there won't be too much waste. If I'm really desperate, I'll make sure to eat something with beans. Lol

I also am lucky to get my 64 oz of fluids in, if that. I've gotten better at getting more in, but I wouldn't worry about not having too much output. I hadn't been going to the bathroom that much, but today, all of sudden I had to pee at least 10 times. I think it's part of the process of your body's adjustment to the diet and losing weight. Your body thinks your in starvation and will start holding on to liquids and we're definitely in the three week stage for that. I personally think we're in a weird stage of the weight loss.

Good luck with everything! I hope I helped a little. :)

http://weightnolongerajourney.blogspot.com/

christib1975
on 3/26/13 1:42 pm - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

Hey surgery buddy!!!

Thanks for your help...and yes, you gave me a lot of "food for thought".

I have refried beans in the cabinet...they may have to make an appearance in my lunch tomorrow!

Thanks Gator!

slimpickins5280
on 3/26/13 1:30 pm - CO

Do you drink coffee? As your stage, I was allowed decaf only, but it did help me. Now, I find that even a cup in the morning of 1/2 decaf 1/2 regular keeps things flowing. Also, a caffeinated tea, might help.

It's up to you if you want to add fat. I'm not sure why you would want to, but I would just start with a little bit of butter (just a little), or maybe a little ranch dressing - something that won't mess with you too much.

Have you tried any of the fiber chews? I think they're nasty, but some people love them.

Up your water. 72 oz is good for where you are post op, but if you could just (I know you want to hit me for daring to say "just")add 1-2 more cups of water, it would probably help a lot.

Once you start eating a more regular diet, I'm willing to be that this issue will be resolved.

Good luck.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

christib1975
on 3/26/13 1:40 pm - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

I don't drink coffee but I love tea, so I will give it a try.

The fat idea was just to change things up to see if it got things moving in the right direction...right now, over the past week I am getting less than 15g of fat per day...thought I might see a change if I upped that a bit.

I will try to get my water up...one or two extra glasses per day shouldn't be too hard

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice!

pedirn06
on 3/26/13 1:51 pm
VSG on 01/26/12
I had to resort to milk of mag. I only take about 1 tablespoon when I take it. I then try to follow with extra fiber like wheat bran and flax seed and drink green tea daily. I do not want to have to take laxatives but have found no way around it yet. Increasing the fiber is risky if you do not get in enough fluids....can make the problem much worse.
pedirn06

SandyRi
on 3/26/13 4:11 pm - WA
VSG on 03/04/13
Hey there! Im another surgery buddy...same day! And same plumbing bbackups. Gosh ive never experienced this before in my life .... consti-pation. I had to get graphic and ask my husband what the deal was! Wow what a pain in the....

Ive been taking a stool softener everother day...but its not liquid plumber so i may have to find something with more oomph to move it all out.

How much weight have you surgery buddies lost? I lost 16 lbs preop but only 4 lbs week1 and nothing since!! I am so bummed out. I expected a stall but i thought it happened at month 3 not week 2. Not sure why i thought that. Hope its not both! Its so frustrating to follow plan and see and feel no results! Makes me worried i will be the one this surgery does not work for.

Surgery date:  03/04/2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views