Things going TOO well - makes me nervous! What is "normal"?

Jessieb60
on 3/29/13 12:11 am

I had my VSG surgery on March 15 and I have never had nausea and I have never thrown up.  I can take in 1/2 cup of soup and I do feel full.  Today I had my first scrambled egg and no problem - I could eat the whole egg.

So why am I worried?  I've just heard so many people talk about how difficult it is to take in stuff and when they do they can only take one bite or a few teaspoons.  I'm worried that I'll be able to eat too much too soon.  I talked to a friend who had vsg a year and a half ago and she says only now can she eat a whole egg and here I am doing it after two weeks.

I've lost 13 pounds in the two weeks since my surgery and I'm really pleased about that - just worried that now I'm on to real food I'm going to screw it up....

WorkItOutWoman
on 3/29/13 12:15 am
My surgery was 3/18/13 I am like you "waiting for the other shoe to drop". I am working really hard to work my own program and stop looking for a horror show around every corner. Congrats on 13 lbs in two weeks!

BoutThatLife

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/29/13 12:19 am, edited 3/29/13 12:19 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Almost six months out and same here... No trouble with anything. No slimies or foamies or vomiting or constipation or food issues..really totally just normal but with a nicely restricted capacity and no hunger what so ever. I was also waiting for the other shoe to drop but now I am thinking that maybe it doesn't have to and we should count our blessings, give thanks and live our lives thinner and healthier and happier. I too could eat an egg easily at even less than 2 weeks out. I still can. But not much more than that!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Jackie T.
on 3/29/13 12:27 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I also did not have any problems.  I do not have any problems eating a scrambled egg and feeling full but if I eat a hard boiled egg that is a different story.  The hard boiled egg makes me feel full and sometimes I can not fini**** .  There are some meats that I can eat 3 oz of and others I am so full after just 2 oz.  Some days, i can eat more than other days.  I have only had issues eating pork chops and I think that is because I was not a good guess on how much there actually was, I did not weigh it.  From that lesson, I have learned to weight my food.  When I go out to eat, I purposely only eat a few bites of something because I can't weigh it.  I have decided for myself that I can take the leftovers home and eat them later if I feel hungry.  Usually I don't feel hungry so I have 2 or 3 meals for my lunches.  Also in some ways your system is still numb because all of the nerves have not healed so some of your feeling full, etc may not have caught up with you yet so just take it slow, weigh your food and log everything.

You are doing great!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Lisa1023
on 3/29/13 12:27 am
VSG on 03/05/13

you can add me to this club.  Never had trouble drinking water and can drink it fairly briskly, not "one ounce at a time and feeling horribly full"  not at all.   3 weeks out, can eat an entire egg, it does fill me up though but not "over full."  Havent vomited since surgery ever, have felt nausea a few times that never lasted more than a minute or two tops.

I chalked it up to having one of the "sleeves of steel."    regardless, I know my capacity is much less and that weight will undeniably come off due to that fact alone.  I didnt gain weight eating one egg for breakfast, know what i mean?  our stomachs will never stretch "that much" to allow us to eat a 3 egg omlette with a side of hash browns and 2 slices of toast ever again.      lol 

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

Alice M.
on 3/29/13 12:37 am - Taylor, MI
VSG on 12/03/12

Say "WOOHOO for me"  and enjoy the ease of your journey.  I accused my surgeon of just drawing on my belly and not really doing surgery!  I had NO pain, NO discomfort at all, NO trouble drinking, walking, sleeping, or eating.  I have discovered that when I am full (or right before)  I burp!   That didn't show up till I started on full foods tho.  Very good off switch.  

Relax and understand that you are a very special and fortunate person and enjoy the ride. 

Alice

Never dreamed that I could feel this good about myself again.  Looking forward to many healthy years now.

SW (6/27/12) - 255   PreOp (12/3/12) - 210   

loverofcats
on 3/29/13 1:55 am

Count your blessings. I had complications and it took me months, before I could eat an egg.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

simmie78
on 3/29/13 2:53 am

I never had any complications...I too was waiting for something to happen - but it didn't!  I could eat an egg - at 3 weeks, I think that was when I tried.  Now I can actually eat 1 egg and 1 egg white (I'm 4.5 months out).  It went fast now I'm 60% of the way there and no longer worry about any complications - just success!!

Currently 180 - 76 lbs lost! Surgery 11/7/12, 36 years old, 5'8". I live in Hong Kong and it's a bit different here!

tankerzwife
on 3/29/13 3:27 am
On March 29, 2013 at 7:11 AM Pacific Time, Jessieb60 wrote:

I had my VSG surgery on March 15 and I have never had nausea and I have never thrown up.  I can take in 1/2 cup of soup and I do feel full.  Today I had my first scrambled egg and no problem - I could eat the whole egg.

So why am I worried?  I've just heard so many people talk about how difficult it is to take in stuff and when they do they can only take one bite or a few teaspoons.  I'm worried that I'll be able to eat too much too soon.  I talked to a friend who had vsg a year and a half ago and she says only now can she eat a whole egg and here I am doing it after two weeks.

I've lost 13 pounds in the two weeks since my surgery and I'm really pleased about that - just worried that now I'm on to real food I'm going to screw it up....

I could have wrote the exact same post!! I was starting to wonder the same thing and I had surgery on the 20th. I am so glad I am not alone as I was really starting to worry. I am very happy I do not have these problems, trust me! But worried maybe my Sleeve is not as restricted as others. Glad to know I am not alone!
(deactivated member)
on 3/29/13 4:04 am - Melrose, MA
VSG on 03/11/13

I am having the same experience.  I have not had any issues eating, drinking, or excercising. I also have worried at times that maybe my sleeve is too big, but I'm glad to hear that there are others who do not struggle. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views