How's your grocery bill?

christib1975
on 4/7/13 8:32 am - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

Have you noticed you are spending less, more, or about the same?

I went to the store today to stock up on lunch essentials (Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, Mio, etc.) and walked out having spent around $20. It got me thinking about what our food bills have been in the past month since surgery. Without tallying up receipts, I think my DH and I are spending about 30% of what we used to and food is lasting much, MUCH longer than it used to.

So, how about you? Have you noticed a savings?

HW: 324  CW: 201.4

SophieNJ
on 4/7/13 9:17 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

much less....aside from not buying any junk food, I can't eat anywhere near the amts, so eggs last longer, I had to give up my beloved International Flavors for coffee, 2 bananas in the house is all that's needed for a week now.  everything last so much longer.  the biggest savings has been we no longer eat out (hubby getting sleeved in 11 days)...and we did that several times a week (bad habit from when we both worked, and neither had the energy to cook)....that alone saves a couple hundred a month.  once we can eat out again, one meal will last probably for 4 meals, so that's a savings too. 

so while we decided to spend on the best of what we buy to eat, it still will be much less (thank goodness I'm the only one who loves lobster and crab :)

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

shajoh
on 4/7/13 9:34 am - Cleburne, TX
VSG on 11/27/12

We do occaisionally go out. More take out boxes. Our grocery shopping is so much different. I try to buy only no carb healthy things. Lots of meat & cheese. Our total food bill has dropped by 1/4 on grocery & we spend maybe  1/16 or less on going out. I bet we've cut at least $500+ a month on eating if not more. 

Sharla

Nancybefree
on 4/7/13 9:36 am
VSG on 11/21/12

We have regularly-scheduled leftover nights now, because there is a fair bit of food left over after my husband and the two kids eat their portions of a given meal.  It was quite sobering to realize that, which of course translated into realizing how much I had been eating before being sleeved.  I'm still cooking the meals in the same quantities to save time during the week, but man ...

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

INgirl
on 4/7/13 9:41 am

More now. The junky stuff is cheap (potatoes, breads, sugar, flour etc.) where protein/meats/nut flours/good dairy are not as cheap.. eating out granted still happens, but since I avoid the places that serve things injected with sugar/flavorings (chicken breasts at your local fav chain- you may want to look at what's actually IN them..) - we eat at better places when we do go out, which happens less.

Yes, I eat less- but better food. My husband also has been living the same lifestyle with me though he's a normie, so between the two of us- our groc bill is up, not even counting going out. Prep time and kitchen time is also up as we cook for ourselves 85% of the time..

Would I trade it- no! The food I cook tastes soo much better than anything I ever did before, veggies are not just an afterthought now, but a main part of a meal.. lots of variety we never had- so for me the extra cost in food is worth it. 

thinnersinner
on 4/7/13 10:18 am

I haven't noticed much on the grocery bill.  The eating out bill for fast food and restaurants is the shocker!!!  I can't believe I spent that much on junk!

MomofMarch
on 4/7/13 10:33 am - GA

Our bill is about the same, but we're also feeding two midgets. Now, food DOES last a lot longer in the house, and we end up having quite a bit of leftovers. I've noticed where I'm not buying more meats, I AM buying more things like baby spinach, strawberries, and veggies. I still get some junk for the hubby and kids, but I make sure it's something I DON'T like. Even with buying my protein shakes every week, it's about the same. :)

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

Diana E.
on 4/7/13 3:26 pm
VSG on 03/27/13

I'm still a newbie sleever.. but In the past couple of weeks, it seems about the same.  But, different... I used to include eating out in my grocery budget.... no more eating out, but I am buying better foods, and I have more room in the budget for organics, better cuts of fish, and just better quality all the way around.  I'm still mostly on shakes.  But I've been prepping the fridge, freezer and pantry for when I am able to eat more regular foods.  I have also slowly started transitioning the family into meals that I will eventually be able to eat along with them.  They are all very receptive and quite happy with the change.  Which is a releif.

HW- 318    SW- 310    CW- 194.4    GW- 170-ish  Onderland: 10/30/2013

sleevegirl
on 4/7/13 9:58 pm - Austin, TX

More. I have a 12 year old boy. LOL

PLUS we eat much more healthy. Organic, grass fed, no junk, etc etc.

Oh well, I'm worth it and so is my family.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

danixbanani
on 4/8/13 1:29 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

I would say more as well because the healthy stuff usually costs more.  Also, I think my husband is eating more now that I don't eat as much LOL 

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views