How Can I Avoid Gallbladder Problems after Bariatric Surgery? (Information)

BREAZA
on 5/7/13 8:49 am, edited 5/7/13 9:21 am
VSG on 04/24/13

How Can I Avoid Gallbladder Problems after Bariatric Surgery?

Gallbladder problems are more common in the obese. As your body-mass index goes up, so does your risk of developing gallstones. This is because obese people appear to produce more cholesterol. The gallbladder produces bile, a substance that breaks down cholesterol; when too much cholesterol is present, an imbalance occurs, causing gallstone formation. Also, obese people sometimes have bigger gallbladders, and these might not empty the same way normal gallbladders do, leading to the collection of materials that become gallstones.

According to the National Institutes of Health, the common symptoms of gallstones include:

• Upper abdominal pain, usually severe, that comes on all of a sudden and lasts from a half-hour to many hours.
  • Pain in the right shoulder blade or under the right shoulder.
  • Nausea or vomiting.
  • Indigestion after consuming fried foods, desserts, or other fatty foods.

Who else is at higher risk of gallstones?

Those who lose weight quickly. Rapid weight loss may cause an imbalance of bile and cholesterol in the body, as well, which can lead to the formation of gallstones.

If you go on a very low-calorie diet and lose more than, say, three pounds per week, you may have a 10- to 25-percent chance of developing gallstones. Most of these are “silent” gallstones, meaning that the patient doesn’t have any symptoms. However, about a third of patients with gallstones — three to eight percent of very aggressive dieters, those who consumed around 800 calories a day — felt symptoms, and some of them needed surgery.

Higher statistics for bariatric patients

Because of the rapid weight loss, about a third of weight loss surgery patients develop gallstones in the first few months following surgery, and many of them do have symptoms. This is one reason that you should consistently adhere to the followup care schedule and consult with your bariatric surgeon should you experience serious discomfort or irregularities.

It is important to note: obesity carries a greater risk of gallstones — and of other health problems — than losing weight does. While it is true that both obese people and those losing weight get gallstones at a higher rate than the general population, losing weight is still the better option for your gallbladder and the rest of your body.

To decrease the risk further, you can aim for more gradual weight loss — although with bariatric surgery, this is not often possible.

To lower the risk, bariatric patients can do a few things:

• Eat a moderate amount of healthy fat as part of your diet; you should take your nutritionist’s advice on this one. Your Marina Hospital nutritionist can advise you on the appropriate amounts and types of fat.
  • Work out. If you’re able, you should be getting an hour to 90 minutes of moderate-to-vigorous exercise nearly every day.  If not, you should be working up to that goal. Exercise benefits your body in so many ways, including weight management and gallbladder health.

Gallstones can be a concern for bariatric patients, but you can manage the risk and monitor your health for signs of this condition. Set up an appointment for a free consultation if you are obese and at risk of gallbladder conditions by calling (800) 491-1977 today!

References:

http://blog.labariatriccenter.com/how-can-i-avoid-gallbladder-problems-after-bariatric-surgery/

BREAZA
on 5/7/13 9:12 am
VSG on 04/24/13
BREAZA
on 5/7/13 9:22 am, edited 5/7/13 9:23 am
VSG on 04/24/13

Not sure why it's not letting post the rest so here is the other half:

Step 2

Switch to unsaturated fats, such as olive oil, avocados and canola oil. Not only are these fats more heart-healthy than saturated fats, consuming saturated fats may put you more at risk for developing gallstones.

Step 3

Eat more fiber. Fiber can help you to lose weight and to avoid gallbladder attacks. Foods that are high in fiber include whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables.

Step 4

Drink alcohol and coffee in moderation. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, drinking one to two alcoholic beverages per day may reduce your risk of gallbladder problems and can also improve your heart health. Partaking in a cup of java each day also breaks up the cholesterol in bile and can help prevent gallstones.

Step 5

Ask your doctor about medications specially formulated to help obese patients avoid gallbladder problems during periods of weight loss. If you are very overweight, the benefit of rapid weight loss may be greater than the risk of having a gallbladder attack and may be made even more so with the help of these medications, whi*****lude ursodiol and orlistat.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/430135-how-to-avoid-gallbladder-attacks-triggered-by-weight-loss/#ixzz2SeRReSX3

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/13 9:49 am - Worcester, MA
VSG on 02/25/13

Thanks very interesting! I really appreciate this! I was wondering about Gallstones. 

sarapilar
on 5/7/13 11:02 am
VSG on 02/21/13

I specifically asked my surgeon for an abdominal ultrasound scan BEFORE VSG surgery.  They found one gallstone. That was enough evidence to take it out during VSG surgery.  Once he opened me up, he said that my gallbladder looked much worse than he had anticipated.  I am so glad I got mine out at the same time!  I think these scans should be routine for all VSG since it is sad to hear stories of the gallbladder having to come out 3, 6, 9 months after VSG surgery.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

SophieNJ
on 5/7/13 8:37 pm - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

that was very smart of you...wish I'd have thought of it!  I agree, scans should be routine with wls.

BREAZA
on 5/8/13 12:58 am
VSG on 04/24/13

I wish I would have done that as well before my surgery. I agree, these scans should be routine for all VSG surgeries...not sure why doctors are not implementing them?

Ladyazblue
on 5/7/13 1:11 pm - Palm Springs, CA

Had to have mine taken out in February, they used a DeVinchi robot and did the whole procedure through my belly button. Good times. 

SW: 265 CW:125  Sleeved on 10-10-2012

kcso77
on 5/7/13 4:22 pm

I also have one gallstone found in an Abdomnal ultrasound.  I will be asking the doc on Friday if it can come out at the same time of my VSG.  I have heard some doctors won't do both.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views