Looking for advice for getting through my protein only week pre-surgery

KristenT0823
on 4/11/13 4:17 am - MI

Hi All,

I am new to OH and I'm having the VSG on April 22nd.  I start my protein only week on the 15th and I'm worried about being around food!  What strategies did you use to help you through this time?

Jackie T.
on 4/11/13 4:26 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I am assuming you are talking protein (shakes) liquid diet?  I wish i had words of wisdom on this one but you just have to keep your eye on the prize.  Remember that most doctors are putting you on this diet because they want your liver to shrink to make the surgery easier.  This is the phase where you just have to "suck it up" and get through it.  If seeing others eating bothers you, then you need to just let your family know and go for a walk or find something else to do during that time.  Remember it is only for a few days and then that part will be over.  The first few weeks are going to be tough because you may have "head hunger" but again keep moving and it will help. 

Congrats on your surgery date!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

zra
on 4/11/13 4:35 am
VSG on 02/06/13 with

You just have to white knuckle it. My cravings let up a little by the fourth day. If you're allowed, drink a lot of broth and eat a lot of sugar free Jello. Those were life savers for me. Remind yourself that you're doing this so you can have a safe and successful surgery. Good luck!

HW: 363  SW: 340  

MichelleLarra
on 4/11/13 4:41 am - NY

I'm going through the liquid diet now.  My surgery is next Wednesday and I have to say it's hard.  My only saving grace is that I live alone so I go to work stay in my office and go straight home. I try not to go into the office kitchen too often and I definitely change the channel if I'm watching TV and see a commercial about food.  I was told that I could have an unlimited amount of carrots, lettuce and celery but that's not helping it.  I'm on day 2 and I find that's it's getting a little better.  I agree with other people who have posted it's a temporary situation that will pass like everything else.  Good luck on your surgery date hope you recover quickly.

KristenT0823
on 4/11/13 5:38 am - MI

Thanks! I think I'll have to just stay away from food, too.  Good luck to you as well!

datachick
on 4/11/13 4:52 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

What kept me in line was knowing that my surgeon was going to be looking at my liver. I wanted the surgery to go as smoothly as possible, so if all I had to do was drink shakes and eat a lean cuisine, I did it.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

mathea
on 4/11/13 8:25 am

As the previous posters said it is a time of sucking it up. It was hard as heck for me, the whole two weeks of protein drinks and four days of clear liquids. I felt week, no energy due to withdrawals I guess from carbs, even though I drank 4  20 gram protein drinks a day. My surgeon said I did a good job he said my liver was nice and small, shiny and healthy. He said he had to do very little to keep it out of the way. So keep you mind on the reason you are on this diet.

HW252 SW230 CW154 surgery April 4, 2013 Dr Elias Ortiz

Willowbeez
on 4/11/13 9:00 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 05/14/13

My surgery is schedule April 23rd and am on the same diet.  What I find helpful is sipping the shakes really slow, so they last over an hour.  Then I sip 10 oz of water really slow.  Therefore I'm drinking constantly and practicing for after the op.  This keeps me feeling fine throughout the day.  When my head hunger kicks in I eat  SF jello so it feels like I'm getting some food into me.

trenya07
on 4/11/13 9:30 am - East Coast, NC
My surgeon allows 60 gr of carbs for 2 weeks preop and clear liquids the day before. I see several references to sf jello but doesn't that contain carbs?
**************75 lbs lost 25 lbs to Goal and One Year Bandversary!!****************
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 278 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views