Bowel movement in first year - how often do you have one

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/13 12:20 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
Thanks Hillary! It's bad enough at home, but had to go at work today and it was so so awful. I'll try Philips in addition to the Miralax I think because Miralax alone isn't cutting it. This is so embarrassing, but I've torn my sutures twice. Just one of those problems I'd like to be done with already!
mokee
on 4/12/13 6:00 am - OH

I am lucky, once or twice a day.   A lot of diarrhea though.   Usually after I eat and when I start to drink afterwards.   I have to make sure I am by a restroom at this point.   Have had a few bad accidents.   I guess I'm not so lucky in this aspect.

PrettyEyes_41
on 4/12/13 6:03 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12

I go every 3-4 days and sometimes I have terrible cramps and have to go several times in a couple hour period but I had horrible IBS before surgery and these are like mini bouts of that - but only sometimes maybe once a month or so. It has greatly reduced though. If I don't go for more than 5 days I take a Dulcolax softener only and that really helps. Call your Dr. - what you're experiencing doesn't sound normal though.

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

JAlston
on 4/12/13 6:10 am
VSG on 12/07/12

I would recommend calling your Dr for advice. That is not normal. You need some supplements or something. I go just about every day and luckily haven't had issues (except right after surgery when things were still a little slow).

Have you tried to increase your fiber intake or take fiber supplements? You can take miralax daily, milk of magnesia is stronger so not something you should take often. I would make an appt with your Dr.

Good luck,

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

justpete
on 4/12/13 6:45 am
VSG on 04/02/13

it really should not be painful.  get on some regular aids for that.  metamucil, stool softener, laxaid, something. I worry that if i hurts that much you are going to injure something or get hemeroids or something.  that's not fun.

I'm just a week out and i go once every day or 2.  not a lot mind you, but some.  stoll softener really helps me.  about 4 days out though, i was backed up until surgery and even with the stool softeners and liquid only diet ... i thought i was gonna die when it finally happened.  pain and sweats, the whole deal.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

mary d
on 4/12/13 6:57 am

Everyday or I would kill someone.  I eat lots of salads and veggies, I drink lots of water and I move.

You need to get something together that works for you.  Maybe the bran is just making things worse.  The fiber if fruits and veggies is probably easier on your intestines.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

swizzlequeen
on 4/12/13 10:00 am

Drleelee,

you definitely need medical advice. Please make a doctor appointment as soon as possible. I am concerned that your bowel pattern many not be normal, and that you may be at risk for it getting worse.

i wish you well!

HilaryH8103
on 4/12/13 1:20 pm - WA
WHAT?? Once every 1-2 weeks?? That is terrible. The longest I've gone is about a week and then when I do go it's SO painful & I usually end up in tears. I started using Phillips (stool softeners) my 2nd week post op. I take them every third day or so & they really help. I don't like Miralax or Milk of Magnesia. Yucky!!

Start taking something, 2 weeks is way too long.

Happy pooping!! =)

Hilary
datachick
on 4/13/13 12:06 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Seriously? How do you NOT KNOW that this is abnormal and dangerous? Google 'how often should I poop' for god's sake. Don't come here for medical advise....what's keeping you from calling your doctor? and haven't you been having regular appts with your surgeon? Why haven't you told him/her? Why are you ok with being uncomfortable and not taking care of yourself?

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

bob-h
on 4/13/13 7:55 am - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12
On April 13, 2013 at 7:06 AM Pacific Time, datachick wrote:

Seriously? How do you NOT KNOW that this is abnormal and dangerous? Google 'how often should I poop' for god's sake. Don't come here for medical advise....what's keeping you from calling your doctor? and haven't you been having regular appts with your surgeon? Why haven't you told him/her? Why are you ok with being uncomfortable and not taking care of yourself?

By the tone of that post I would think you haven't went for a month. Lighten up a little bit. 

Failure  IS NOT  an Option                  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 66 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 250 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 318 views