Bowel movement in first year - how often do you have one

doctorleelee
on 4/12/13 4:53 am - Oakland, CA
VSG on 09/13/12

Ok, I know this will be gross to some of you, but I hope others will find it useful, since we all face this issue due to our new GI system.

I am 7 months and for many months now, I only have a bowel movement every 1-2 weeks. At that point, it is big and painful and lasts over the span of an hour or more (not all at once, but several trips to the bathroom).

Am I the only one? And if you have this problem too, do you have any suggestions. 

(things that I already do. coffee every day, fruit like prunes several times a week, walk every day, drink a lot of water every day, breakfast is always oat bran and flax and blueberries)

SuzyNZ
on 4/12/13 4:57 am
VSG on 09/17/12
You might need a daily supplement of some kind like Benefiber or Miralax (I think thats what i have seen on here. Im in New Zealand, so we have different brands here)

I go about every 3-4 days, but sometimes its up to a week. When I haven't been for that long, I drink pure kiwi-fruit juice as that is a great natural laxative, but Im not sure you can get that in the states.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

ParisGirl
on 4/12/13 5:00 am
VSG on 04/25/13

I pre-op, but you should call your doctor.  You don't want to end up with a serious anal fissure from straining too much.  That surgery would be awful.

Have you tried Milk of Magnesia or Colace...and a stool softener for relief? 

BREAZA
on 4/12/13 11:45 am
VSG on 04/24/13

OMG! I've had surgery for an anal fissure and let me tell you it was the worst pain I've ever had. Worse than my 2 c-sections! Sorry for the TMI. :)

stormyrock
on 4/12/13 4:15 pm
VSG on 02/18/13

me too and I agree!  WORST pain

Highest weight 271

VSG Feb 18/2013

lillypie9
on 4/12/13 5:05 am
VSG on 11/02/12

Before surgery I was a 3 times a day after meals pooper; post-surgery I have to go at least every other day, or I start to get cranky. I do Miralax before bed every other day, and take magnesium caplets. Start with a low dose and increase until you get results.

thinathart
on 4/12/13 5:15 am, edited 4/12/13 5:17 am

I go everyday and it's very normal.  I had IBS (probably still do, but am symptom free now post-op).  I think WLS actually leveled my GI tract out.   And I don't take any extra fiber stuff (no miralax, prune juice, MOM). 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/12/13 5:28 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I am like the previous poster. Every day like clock work when I get up. Very normal BMs. I don't take anything either.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/13 5:57 am
VSG on 06/04/12

FYI:

Do not go that long without going #2.

I just had a surgery three weeks ago to repair an anal fissure and a hemroidectomy from a similar issue, due to my now high protein diet (I'm 10 months sleeve post-op). 

It is THE MOST PAINFUL ******G EXPERIENCE I'VE EVER HAD!!! And I've given birth to 3 children. 3 weeks later I'm still leaving claw marks in the porcelain and screaming to Jesus every time I use the bathroom. Pardon my french here, but some things call for it.

For goodness sakes get some Miralax. Trust me. You'll thank me later. 

HilaryH8103
on 4/12/13 10:03 am - WA
You poor thing. I've had a few experiences where I've had to pray to God in the bathroom because I literally thought I was going to die, the pain was so intense. I've only had one child but I still never experienced anything like that. I take Phillips now, a stool softener & it's saved my life.
I hope you start feeling better soon because I know that there is no worse feeling than the pain that you've been going through.

Best Wishes,

Hilary- XOXO
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views