Grilling out - share your tips/recipes/techniques to keep is VSG friendly

christib1975
on 4/14/13 5:45 am - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

Hey all...since spring has sprung and hundreds of thousands of grills and smokers are firing up across the land, lets talk about meat...or meat alternatives...any tips or recipes you use now to keep these tasty treats VSG friendly?

Since I am still relatively new in my journey, I haven't done much besides a salmon burger and today I am trying smoked turkey and smoked pork loin with a little Jack Stack BBQ sauce.

For those of you that are further out...have you tried anything new? Any new sauces or types of meat? Anyone grilled tofu?

HW: 324  CW: 201.4

sleevegirl
on 4/14/13 5:53 am - Austin, TX

We just throw it on the grill with a homemade sauce with little to no sugar or other high calorie crap. My fave is chicken with lime juice and a little chili powder.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

hshelley386
on 4/14/13 6:24 am - IN

that sounds good, do you marinate it in the lime juice or mix that with the chili powder and just  brush on top??

sleevegirl
on 4/14/13 9:05 am - Austin, TX

We do marinate it, but it's acidic so it will "cook" it a little, but not a huge problem. You can also buy "True Lime" just like the True Lemon that is dehydrated lime juice and just use that if you don't plan ahead LOL... we don't plan ahead a lot ;) We just shake the powder on.

We also do lemon pepper.

Yeah, I like citrus ;)

The True Lemon, Lime and Orange is really great for a burst of flavor.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

INgirl
on 4/14/13 7:16 am

Anything that walks or swims I will grill kiss.

One of my favs is cornish hen on the grill- split it, butterflied and grill it on both sides. The fat in the meat keeps it really moist while it gets some of the grease out of it.. Chicken thighs, salmon with the skin sliced a bit to keep it from curling.. for me, if it's meat & veggie, it's VSG friendly. I love grilled fennel bulbs.. olive oil tossed veggies of all sorts can be grilled. I don't do a lot of sauces but will marninate and oil them before grilling. Whole tilapia stuffed with herbs grills up nice too.

christib1975
on 4/14/13 10:23 am - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

I LOVE fennel...will definitely have to try to grill them. I love to do veggies too...mushroom, onions, peppers, oh my!

Thanks for the tip on the salmon...next weekend is our first time with whole fish

cajunlady1958
on 4/14/13 7:16 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
we grill often and try and use no bbq sauce because the sugar tends to burn. my son likes to make kabobs so we do a variety with mushrooms, onions, peppers, and cherry tomatoes. he marinades the meat in light italian dressing, it sure taste good and with a fresh spinach and lettuce salad we are all set. i am almost 1 year post op and i can still only eat 1 kabob and a 1/2 cup of salad. only thing i really miss sometimes is the garlic french bread, but i can survive without it for now.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

AmberK
on 4/14/13 9:29 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with

We cook out at least three times a week. My hubby will cook pork chops, Extra lean HB patties, steaks, chicken breast, and I always sauté an onion to have with the meat. 2-3 oz of meat with a scoop of onions is enough to satisfy me :) 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

hshelley386
on 4/14/13 10:09 am - IN
Great Ideas, Thank You And Ill Definitely Be Trying The Lemon/Lime marinade

christib1975
on 4/14/13 10:24 am - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

Will try the lime with chili powder...love the idea of tart and spicy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views